Weedheads

Wednesday afternoon, Billy strolls up to the locker room door. He grips the doorhandle loosely and pulls it open, his ears filling with the lovely ring of Steve's laughter. Now feeling more eager to get playing, Billy rounds the corner to see-- Steve. That's what he wanted to see. Except, Steve's laughing with a guy on the team, they look close to each other. Billy bristles, but keeps his composure.

He gives them the side-eye while he ties his laces tightly, pulling on the strings aggressively. Steve gives him a weird look and Billy flicks his glance away, standing and heading to the court all too quickly.

Through the game, Billy plays hard, against Steve. At one point he even slams Steve to the ground, then feels bad and helps him up. Steve maintains a smile, enjoying the spat.

After practice Billy doesn't change, he just grabs his bag and leaves. The blonde struts across the parking lot, ready to get out of there. Steve isn't far behind, hopping as he scrambles to get his shoe on.

"Billy!"

Hargrove hears the call and turns around, continuing to walk backward as forms a smile. "Steve!" He yells back playfully, the taller boy finally getting his shoe on and striding over.

The lanky boy comes down to a walk, following Billy who's still facing him as he walks. "The hell are you doing?" The brunette chuckles as his mood lifts, trying to step on Billy's toes. Around Billy, he feels. He doesn't need to act and play his character.

The blonde shrugs and continues. As they walk, their eyes connect and smiles are plastered on their faces. Billy feels his heel hook on the curb and his arms begin to windmill as he falls back. His eyes widen and then he's still, Steve leaning forward with one leg stuck out for balance and one planted.

The brunette's hands grip Billy's shoulders and his face is inches from Billy's, the steam from his breath rising between them.

"Clutz," he laughs and pulls Billy upright, continuing to walk. They each reach their cars and Steve leans on the hood of his, lighting a cigarette. Billy is entranced as the smoke curls up and around the brunette's face.

"You wanna do something, Harrington?"

A smirk tugs at Steve's lips, a desiring look in his eye. He sighs and shakes his head as if trying to convince himself. "Dude, I've got an English essay due tomorrow and I'm only half-finished."

"Oh, so you've suddenly become a good student? I see," Billy says, giving a mocking nod.

The brunette snorts accompanied by a small eye roll. "I'm probably going to fail English anyway, it's not my strong suit."

Billy begins to pay more attention, his train of thought shifting as his mental gears turn. "It just so happens to be mine." Billy takes a step closer to Steve and the brunette-- slowly-- figures out what he's insinuating.

"You want to help me... with my essay?" Steve says out loud. He's not looking at Billy, but at the ground, for the sole reason that he's trying to figure out why Billy Hargrove is offering him homework help.

"No, Steve I just thought I'd tell you I'm good at English to make you feel bad about failing."

The slow brunette looks at him funny and Billy shakes his head. "I'm kidding, Steve. We can go to work on your essay now if you want."

Steve scowls yet complies and gets in his car, knowing Billy will follow.

---

Billy's face contorts as he reads the section Steve had been working on for the past half hour. How do I tell Steve this is shit?