07. cast shadow walk

Start from the beginning

"You cast shadow walk." Dustin replied. Maddie sighed. "In real life Dustin." He nodded, understanding. Lucas shook his head. "Dummy."

Dustin ignored him and continued his explanation. "We can't shadow walk, but... maybe she can." All eyes turned to an exhausted Eleven on the couch. "Do you know how we get there? To the upside down?" Mike looked at the girl as she slightly shook her head no, making Maddie to sigh in defeat.

She didn't fully understand how El knew about the upside down but not how to get there. But she trusted the girl, so if she said she didn't know, she didn't know.

THE DAY OF Wills funeral had come and while Maddie knew he was still alive, there was still this sadness in the air she was unable to ignore. Attending a funeral for her alive friend and being forced to seem sad made Maddie feel, dirty. She had never liked lying and Will being alive was something she wanted to tell to anyone who would listen. But she couldn't, she had to be sad.

So Maddie stood in front of her mirror in her black form fitting dress with flats on her feet and her hair in a half up half down look that had taken her longer than she'd like to admit to get just right.

Her father had made it clear he wouldn't be attending. The note left on the kitchen table telling her he'd be out was all she needed to know. Maddie had walkied Mike as soon as she read the note. He agreed automatically, saying his mom wouldn't mind at all.

Funerals where hard. The last one Maddie had been to had been her mother's and it had been the last day Maddies home left hadn't felt like shit. Her uncle had been there and he had even hugged her. Her dad had promised nothing would ever get between them.

What a load of shit that turned out to be.

As Maddie waited, she did some light makeup. That makeup consisted of mascara, highlight, blush, and lipgloss. She thought she looked pretty and that was good enough for her.

When she heard a knock on her front door, Maddie grabbed her small black purse and headed towards the knocking. She opened it to see Mike standing there. A small smile fell on her lips as she looked at Mike. He smiled back, any worries he had about seeing her gone.

He still couldn't get over what Troy had said. But seeing Maddie made him forget for even just a bit all about it. "Hey Wheeler."

Mikes smile grew at the nickname only she seemed to say in a way he liked. Anyone else who ever called him Wheeler made him feel upset, but he knew she never could.

"Hey Maddie... you look really pretty." She smiled at the compliment, a light tint finding its way onto her cheeks. "Thanks Mike... so do you." She quickly realized what she said. "I- uh... I mean, you look nice too."

Mike laughed a bit before offering his hand for her to grab. Maddie smiled at his cheesiness and grabbed his hand, letting Mike lead her to his moms car.

Maddie hopped into the back and Mrs. Wheeler turned around with a smile. "Hi Madison, you look beautiful." Maddie smiled. "Thank you, Mrs. Wheeler." Mrs. Wheeler sighed and looked the girl in the eye. "How are you holding up honey? With Will."

Maddie made swift eye contact with Mike before frowning a bit. She had to play the part. "I guess i've been better..." Mrs. Wheeler nodded in understanding before turning back around, beginning the drive.

Maddie looked to Mike and slightly smiled when she saw him giving her a look asking if she's okay. She knew he didn't mean about Will. He meant about going to another funeral after her mother. She nodded, it was okay so far. Maddie looked forward and saw Nancy in the front seat. She was surprised she didn't notice the girl before.