23. getting will byers back

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
( getting will byers back )

MADDIE SAT IN the Byers kitchen as Hopper called someone on the phone

MADDIE SAT IN the Byers kitchen as Hopper called someone on the phone. She hadn't really been paying attention, head leant on Max's shoulder who she was happy to see had finally been clued in on the mess of a town they lived in.

"Yes, Dr. Sam Owens. I don't know how many people are there! I don't know how many people are left alive. I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper! Yes, the number that I gave you, yes. 6767... I will be here." He slammed the phone down and Maddie moved her eyes towards him, watching.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin frowned, looking at Hopper. He turned around towards the kids. "We'll see."

"We'll see?" We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike yelled, angrily staring at Hopper. Maddie understood why. They all just escaped a near death situation and not all of them did, it felt off to now just be waiting around for someone else to fix things.

Hopper gritted his teeth. "We stay here, and we wait for help." He left the room at that, leaving the middle schoolers with none other than Steve Harrington, which continued to confused Maddie to no end where he came in here.

The silence seemed to overtake them, some sense of sadness taking over the room. It was a mourning feeling, really. Joyce had instantly curled into herself mentally and physically, which was understandable. And no one else had anything they could say that would help that.

So they just sat, hoping time would pass and they could be out of this situation.

Maddie looked up slightly, removing her head from Max's shoulder when Mike stood. She watched as he walked towards a set of games, they very ones Bob had brought over earlier for Will before they'd lost him. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?"

"Really?" Lucas responded, none of them had known that. It made Maddie smile. Mike turned back towards them, holding a rubix cube. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

The boys smiled. "Yeah." Mike set the rubix cube down on the table before looking between his friends. "We can't let him die in vain."

"Well what do you want to do, Mike? Alright? The Chiefs right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own." Dustin snapped. Max chuckled. "Demo-dogs?"

He turned his attention towards her. "Demogorgon. Dogs. Demo-dogs. It's like a compound. It's a play on words—" Maddie raised her eyebrows as Max cut him off. "Okay." Dustin sighed. "I mean, when it was just Dart, maybe..."

"But there's an army now." Lucas cut in. Dustin nodded. "Precisely." Mike stared forward. "His army." Steve turned his head towards the boy at that. "What do you mean?"