19. looking for will byers, again

CHAPTER NINETEEN
( looking for will byers, again )

MADDIE HELD HER walkie-talkie close as she walked around the building

MADDIE HELD HER walkie-talkie close as she walked around the building. The group had decided to split off and look for Dart, finding that they could clear more of the school that way.

"East is clear. No sign of Dart." Mike spoke up. Maddie sighed to herself. She was headed towards the cafeteria and then the auditorium, half hoping to find Dart while the other half of her never wanted to see the little creature again.

"Shit." Maddie cursed to herself. She continued her trek, finding nothing but an anxious feeling building in her chest as she continued to see absolutely nothing.

"West is clear, too. Will?" Dustin questioned, waiting for a response from Will. Maddie listened closely, hoping one of them would find Dart soon. "South is clear. Lucas? Anything?"

Lucas didn't respond for a moment and Maddie got worried. But then his voice came through and she exhaled her breath. "Nothing here, man. Maddie?"

Maddie opened the door to the cafeteria, looking around the open space with a frown. "He's not in the cafeteria. If I can, I'm gonna check the kitchen."

She got no response but wasn't expecting one in the first place. So, Maddie carefully went towards the kitchen, looking through the small window to see if anyone was inside.

And there they where. Two of the lunch ladies had stayed back and Maddie knew she had no change of getting in there. Maddie sighed. "Well, Darts obviously not in there or else they wouldn't be so calm."

Maddie left the cafeteria completely, beginning to find her way towards the auditorium. She decided to cut past the gym, realizing the auditorium was near there.

"Maddie!" She soon heard, looking up to see Mike jogging her way. "Hey. Any luck in there?" Maddie wondered, assuming Mike had just left the gym. Mike shook his head. "Uh— no, but something weird happened."

Maddie looked at him confused. "Weird how?" Mike looked around. "Weird like I think El is here." Maddies eyes widened. "What?" Mike quickly shushed her, not wanting to alert anyone else. "Max was in there with me trying to get into the party and she was on her skateboard when suddenly it just flew out from under her. At first I thought she might have just fell and then she said it felt like a magnet had pulled her board. I—I don't know but I think that might have been El."

Maddie took a moment to repeat Mikes words in her mind. She wanted El to still be around, badly, but why would El spend her time pulling random skateboards out from under people she doesn't even know.

"I— I don't know. I think we just need to focus on one thing at a time. We still need to find Dart and he is way higher on my list of dangers than El. And then, let's look around and see if we can find her." Maddie suggested. She wanted to find El, but Dart was the priority right now.