13. why are you keeping this curiosity door locked

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
( why are you keeping this curiosity door locked )

CHAPTER THIRTEEN ( why are you keeping this curiosity door locked )

"OKAY, SO, IN this example, we're the acrobat." Mike explained, pointing to the small stick figure on the line he had drawn on a sheet of paper. "Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea." He pointed to the flea. "And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding." He pointed to the bottom of the paper. "Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate." Dustin added. "That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." Lucas further explained. "With our compasses." Dustin noticed the confused looks he was now getting. "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle."

Hopper looked at the kids from the chair he was in. "Is this gate underground?" El nodded. "Yes." Hopper just looked back at the young girl. "Near a large water tank?" She nodded again. "Yes."

Dustin looked right at Hopper and began to stutter. "How— how do you know all that?" Hopper didn't reply but Mike figured it out. "He's seen it."

Joyce looked to El hopefully. "Is there any way that you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this—" El cut Joyce off. "The Upside Down." Joyce whispered to herself quickly, "Down. Yeah."

El nodded. Nancy took the floor. "And my friend Barbara? Can you find her, too?" El just looked at Nancy for a moment. Maddie nodded. "She can."

El then stood up and walked over to the table in the Byers kitchen. She took a seat and the party followed behind her. Maddie moved the other chairs away while Mike began finding a station on the walkie that was just static.

Nancy, Joyce, Hopper, and Jonathan all followed once they realized the kids weren't coming back. Maddie put her hands on Els shoulders with a smile. "You've got this." El nodded back thankfully and closed her eyes.

Maddie moved next to Dustin as everyone crowded around the table to watch El. They sat in silence, letting her search around in her mind. The lights flickered off before coming back on again.

El looked at Joyce sadly, her lip trembling. "I'm sorry." Joyce looked at El frantically, holding onto Jonathan's hand. "What— what's wrong? What happened?" Els voice broke as tears found their way into her eyes. "I can't find them."

El wanted to help so badly. She felt horrible she couldn't be doing more. Joyce covered her mouth while Jonathan turned away. Maddie put her hand back on Els shoulder, letting her know that no one was upset with her.

They were all horribly upset by the situation, but no one blamed El.

El suddenly stood, turning to Maddie. "Bathroom?" Maddie smiled lightly, pointing her finger down the hall. "Go right down there and take a left." El nodded. "Take a left."