Chapter 3: Thomas

Start from the beginning

Jayden and I met in middle school at a boxing club (which I eventually had to quit to save money). Back then, we bonded by throwing punches and sweating like pigs on a dirty mat that smelled like feet.

After that, we also got into lots of fights with neighborhood kids or at school, those who liked to pick on the smaller ones. He even went to the hospital with me when one of them knocked out one of my teeth. We've been best friends ever since.

"Honestly, you boys are always looking for trouble," Rhys grumbled, tucking her orange hair behind her ear. "What happened to his bike anyway?"

"He left it where we crashed."

Jayden raised his brows with a whistle.

"He's rich enough to throw away bikes while I don't even have the luxury to throw away toilet paper."

Rhys and I both stared at him.

"Ma' says that toilet paper is precious. You fold twice for number one and thrice for number three. Any more than that is wasting money," he explained.

"Jayden, honey, I have a stock of toilet paper if you guys need any," Rhys murmured.

"What, you fold more than twice?" He asked, blinking in shock 

Rhys didn't bother answering.

"Anyway," Jayden said. "It must be nice having a sugar daddy."

"Eli doesn't have a sugar daddy. His dad is rich. It's not the same thing," Rhys snapped.

"Potato, potato," Jayden said. "Though, I'd sure like me a sugar mommy," he grinned, leaning towards Rhys for a kiss. She pushed his face away.

"I'm not kissing you with all that oil and salt on your mouth," she said, wiping Jayden's lips for him. Jayden was a tall guy, strong too, but he turned into a total baby whenever he was around his girlfriend.

I mean, just look at that cheeky grin on his face.

"Could you guys be lovey-dovey elsewhere? I'm trying to eat," I grumbled.

"When are you going to get yourself a girlfriend? Isn't your right hand getting tired?"

"Jayden," Rhy hissed. "We're eating."

"What?" he whined. "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

"Not interested in dating right now," I shrugged. With the piles of assignments, extra curriculum, cooking, and working I already had to do? No, thank you. "And for the record, my right-hand works perfectly fine."

"Have you tried using your left?" He asked with a smug smile.

My eyebrows raised, suddenly curious.

"My left?"

"Yeah, because when-"

Rhys cleared her voice and we both stopped.

"Right," Jayden said sheepishly. "Table manners."

"Anyway," I said, changing the subject before Rhys threw her pudding at me. "Jay, are you doing anything tonight?"

He grinned, wriggling his brows.

"Why? You tired of your rightie?" He then shrugged. "I don't blame you. I mean, who wouldn't want all this?"

He gestured to himself and Rhys looked like she regretted all her life decisions.

"Stop flirting before your girlfriend beats me up," I mumbled. "I need you to cover my shift tonight. I have detention and I can't change my shift hours on such short notice. You'll clock in for me, right?"

"Sure, your manager probably won't mind," he said, but I could hear the sarcasm. "He definitely won't notice that your skin tone turned three shades darker and that you suddenly have curly black hair."

"He thinks my name is Leo. Won't give a damn."

Jayden gave me a lazy salute.

"I'll cover for you, but only 'cause it's you." He then blew me a kiss and I pretended to catch it, patting it into my jean pocket with a wink.

Rhys looked like she wanted to yeet herself out if the window.

The three of us continued to chat. Rhys complained about how she needed more girl friends so I decided to back out of the conversation so that she wouldn't feel left out. While Jayden turned all mushy gushy when talking to Rhys, my eyes wandered around and stopped on a familiar face.

Eli was sitting with his group of friends: the popular kids. I couldn't name a single one of them, but I've seen them around. Captain of the football team, cheerleading squad, etc.

No wonder we've never crossed paths. Our social status and group of friends were completely different, there was no chance we'd meet in the halls.

I raised a brow when I saw that the boy sitting next to him (Steven, I think), placed a hand on Eli's left thigh.

Funny place to put your hand, ain't it?

Instead of pushing it away, Eli's porcelain skin turned pink. When he glanced towards Steven (or Bob, still couldn't figure out his name), he was smiling shyly like be was staring at the most beautiful being on earth.

Wasn't that Steven dude already dating a girl from the cheerleading squad? I swear I've seen him stick his tongue down a girl's throat the other day. They were a big item and the hottest topic of the school, even I knew about them.

I couldn't help but laugh.

Eli was a naughty little boy and Steven was a closeted cheater. What a joke?

When I laughed, Eli's gaze met mine. Fear flashed through his eyes when he saw that I has caught them, and he quickly pushed Steven's hand away, crossing his legs and keeping his face parallel to his plate to avoid my eyes.

He was as red as a tomato and couldn't be more obvious.

Steven noticed Eli being fidgety and then looked my way. His eyes hardened, but unlike Eli, he didn't look away. Instead, he stared straight at me.

I gave him a smug grin, just to show that I knew their dirty little secret. I wasn't planning on revealing their relationship, but I was a petty guy.

And petty guys do dumb, petty things.

Steven's jaw tightened and I watched him tilt his head, whispering something into Eli's ear. Then, as if it was rehearsed, he stood up and the rest of the group followed his lead.

Steven gave me one last threatening glare before leaving the cafeteria, but I was still smiling.

⤵️⤵️⤵️

A/N: Have you guys ever cried while reading a book? Or am I just an emotionless monster.