Summertime in Wakanda | Riley Stark

Start from the beginning

  "You realize if you do that, you'll be stuck in here for longer, right?" Rocket snapped. "Geez, outta all the people I could've gotten stuck with, I got stuck with a brat!"

  Riley scoffed. "I know you miss Groot, but if you just look outside, there are 20 other trees that look just like him!"

  "Are you a moron?!"

  "A moron?! This moron helped save your reality, jackass!"

  "You're so lucky I can't physically move or I swear I'd—!"

  "HEY!" a new voice cut in. Riley and Rocket glimpsed back to see Sam Wilson. His ebony brows were pinched, irritated as he had been trying to rest in his assigned bed. "You hear that?" Silence. They paused, trying to listen for what he was talking about. "That's right. Nothing. Keep it that way."

  The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Asgardians, the Revengers, and countless other soldiers who had fought in the war infiltrated the Wakandan hospitals once victory was set in stone. Not all of them could come due to other responsibilities or desires to get back to a normal life, such as Peter Parker and Carol Danvers.

  To assist the Wakandan hospital workers, dozens upon dozens of doctors were flown out across the globe in hopes of getting to everyone without wasting time. It was almost magical seeing all of them in one room, a nerdier version of the heroes all grouping together if you will. But because there were so many wounded soldiers from the war, the heroes were split up into groups, meaning no one had an entire hospital room to themselves. Riley just so happened to be stuck in a room with Rocket, Sam, and Bucky.

  Honestly, whenever Riley was injured, she usually sat outside in the sun and let the UV rays heal her minor wounds, which she did for a while. But she was on strict bed rest for the time being. No using her powers. No excessive movement. Just bed rest. She hated it. A lot. But she needed it. She hadn't felt this drained since she faced Rob.

  "Who thought it was a bright idea to stick the cyborg, the bird, the hedgehog, and the best Avenger in the same room anyway?" Riley grumbled to herself.

  "For the last time, I'm a raccoon!" Rocket shouted.

  "And for the last time, I don't care!" she sneered. "What are you gonna do, huh? You're like three feet tall!"

  "Break your knee caps! At least I can move when I want to!"

  "At least I can—"

  "I don't sound like that!"

  Bucky, who was usually quiet, aside from making a few comments under his breath every so often, chuckled. It sounded more like a scoff or maybe even a loud sigh, but Riley knew he was amused because there was a faint smile on his face. God, he hated being in a state of recovery again, never mind stuck with a bunch of idiots that never knew how to shut up, but at least he wasn't alone anymore. It was better than solitary confinement.

  "Actually, you do," Bucky chimed. He slid his legs over the side of his bed, grabbing the book he recently borrowed from Steve.

  A pleased grin spread across Riley's face. "Ha!" she cheered. Rocket just bared his sharp teeth at her, to which she nearly did the same, only to remember she wasn't an animal. Just an annoying teenager. She pulled her attention away from the raccoon, eyes falling on Bucky's figure as he started to walk out of the room. "Oi, not so fast! Where are you going?"

  Bucky glanced back at her, sighing. Before she was one of his roommates, he wondered what Steve meant when he said that Riley reminded him of Bucky's little sister, Rebecca. But now that he'd noticed the resemblance, otherwise known as the classic irritating and nosy traits of a little sister, he couldn't shake it.