"Girls like that don't come along that often,"

Start from the beginning

We nod as he pauses, raking a hand through his greying hair.

"I understand that you're both teenagers and this situation must be very...eye-opening, i guess. But ultimately our faith lies in you guys,"

"Your faith? Because I'm pretty sure a couple months back when that darned book came out and people were rioting out here, you guys did nothing," Chat says.

"Chat!"

"Don't even try denying that, milady. I know you remember that as clear as I do,"

I can't even respond to that, and just look at Jones infront of us, who wears an unreadable expression.

"Yeah, I...well I can't exactly respond to that. Though, just to clarify, concerns were raised, I'm only in charge of this district. My point is, well, we ought to be working as a team to combat this akuma, and just all of the dangers to the parisians in general. I'm sure you know that the police force isn't..doesn't exactly have the right approach to tackling incidents round here.."

"Understatement," I say, thinking back to the numerous incidents where the police were nowhere to be found.

"I know, I know. But I think, well maybe we can partner up in a way. You both have the key skills and can defeat the akuma, obviously, which is what we lack, and we have the resources and can help minimise impact,"

Chat and I exchange glances for the umpteenth time.

"What do you think, milady?"

"I think it's good, chaton," We shake hands with the officer, who looks more relieved than anything else, "there is one condition though,"

"Name it,"

"We want some credit for what we've done," I say, and my partner nods in agreement, "We just wanna get some recognition for what we do,"

"Done. Well, the akuma isn't here as of yet, but we can be sure to let you know when we see any signs of her. If you guys wanna leave, then that's understandable, I mean you're still young, so live your lives because you'll remember these days," he smiles reminiscently, "But feel free to stay around and help if you want. The other officers may not take a liking to you, but just mention my name, and you can call for me in a worse to worst situation,"

"As much as I'd love to help, I've got other commitments as well...I mean, it's an important day in my civilian life, so I should probably be off," Chat says, and I remember the photoshoot.

"Tell me about it," I remember the fashion show later, "I'm running an event today. Ugh, and I have homework to do. As much as I love being Ladybug and all, I'm never going to be able to juggle it all properly,"

"Don't even remind me about homework, milady. I literally do it after patrol at night, and then by the time I'm done, I have to get ready for school, and extra-curriculars, and then an akuma strikes, and boom,"

"It doesn't get much easier, kids. Now you go, get back to your lives, I'll let you know if we see her,"

We thank him, and Chat and I go our separate ways. I detransform near Master Fu's and knock on the door, and he quickly ushers me outside his house.

"Those photographers are here, chosen one, you ought to leave from this side,"

I thank him, and pocket one of the bright orange vials as I walk out, and lights flash in my face.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng! To your left please!"

"To the right, Marinette, to the right!"

"Are you excited for the show, Miss Dupain-Cheng? What can we expect?"