“It’s not really about permission. I was going to bring Ishani into the meetings whether he liked it or not. But this goes beyond that.” She pointed at a picture of her father, Emperor Tanul, which hung on the wall. “After my father died, Councilman Kucchal thought that he would be able to manipulate me. But I quickly showed him that I am no one’s puppet. Now he’s been trying other ways to discredit me. He’s fully aware that Ishani is more than capable to be my council. But his refusal to sign the scroll was just a way to torment me. But now, thanks to you, I have asserted my control over this council.” She smiled. “I have a feeling he won’t be trying to find any more ways to undermine me now.”

“Good to hear,” said Aadi.

“But enough about me.” Latiha faced Aadi. She was so young, that he still had a hard time believing she was empress. “Be truthful. Can you restore our lands?”

“To a certain extent, yes.”

“What do you mean?”

“My new power has given me the ability to sense peoples’ and beings’ energies.” The empress listened with great interest. “The earth energy is being blocked. I would be able to return some of the fertility to the land, but not all of it. I must find the creature that is suppressing it, and kill it.”

The empress did not look entirely convinced. “A creature that can suppress the entire energy from the planet is bound to be powerful.”

“Yes,” Aadi said quietly. “But I have to try.”

“How will you find it?” asked Ishani.

“My good friend, Zoen, is currently doing some research on that particular subject. He’ll figure something out soon.”

“I have no doubt he will,” the empress replied. She looked over at Ishani. “I thought she was going to be alone for the rest of her life. Since your disappearance, she has refused to be courted by anyone.” She tapped Aadi’s shoulder. “I’ve never seen her more happy. I say you marry her as soon as possible.”

“Latiha!” cried Ishani, her face growing red. She looked like she had just swallowed a dozen peppers.

Aadi too felt his face turn hot. But the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. She might have said it as a joke, but Latiha was right. He had already wasted enough time in prison. Why not make the best of what he had now?

“We’ll see,” said Aadi.

The rest of the day passed in a blur of joy. Aadi wiped away all thoughts of the creature as he and Ishani toured the city. First, they stopped by a small stand that sold mana ramen. Apparently, the owner had found a way to heat the mana in a form that it would solidify in long strands.

“Isn’t it neat?” asked Ishani happily as she held up a strand.

Aadi, who has now stuffing a spoonful of broth into his mouth, looked up at her. “Yes.”

The owner of the stand, a burly man, set a variety of different colored powdered bottles in front of Aadi. “Try some of my fine spices to add some flavor to the soup.” He pointed at a red glass bottle. “Some pepper, perhaps?”

“What is this one?” asked Ishani, holding up a yellow bottle.

“Oh that is Methi. It’s very bitter, but delicious, if I may say.”

Ishani powdered her soup with a pinch of every spice.

“How about you, sir?” asked the man.

“Oh. No. I like the earthy taste of mana.” He took another mouthful, hoping the man would leave them alone for a bit. But on the contrary, to Aadi’s dismay, the man spoke to them through the entire meal.

Once they left, a crowd of people followed them down the streets. Kids accompanied them, wanting to walk by their side. Noble and peasant ladies handed them flowers as they passed. Men cheered his name as he passed. Every vendor who saw them wanted to give them something for free. Ishani and Aadi insisted that there was no need. But the people were relentless, refusing to take no for an answer.

“Are you okay?” asked Ishani, no doubt noticing his discomfort.

Aadi set down the pile of things he received. Which included two baskets full of flowers, dried meats, small porcelain dolls, and countless other small trinkets. “All this sudden fame is a bit…overwhelming. I mean, people are calling me sir. That has to be the strangest thing ever.”

“You should get used to it. You deserve the respect you’re getting.” She put her arms around him. “Now c’mon. You need to rest.”

She led him down the corridor and through two white double doors. The room they had walked into was medium-sized, but very elegant. There was a drawer at the end of the room with a large mirror in front of it. Perfume bottles, combs, and fine jewelry rested atop the drawer. At the right side of the room was a large, cushioned bed. The entire frame consisted of fine oak.

Ishani lay on the brown sheets and motioned for him to join her. Which caught him a bit by surprise. He had expected to sleep on the floor. In fact, he wasn’t sure he even could sleep in a bed anymore. It was hard to simply do away with years of habit.

She tapped the spot on the bed beside her. “You don’t want to join me?”

He forgot all about his doubts and climbed on.

Ishani reached out and blew out the candle.

The room was enveloped in darkness as he ran his hands down Ishani’s soft waist. Breathing heavily, his lips found hers. She lay down as he continued to kiss her.

His heart beat loudly as he let her warmth embrance him. 

----

Feel free to vote and leave comments. 

Have a good day, everyone!