Chapter 16

Like always, feel free to fix my horrible grammar. LOL

Short chapter here.

----- 

  CHAPTER 16      

Aadi found himself sitting in the palace dining hall. The entire situation seemed surreal. A few days ago he had been a prisoner in one of the most deadly prisons in Va’siel. Now he was the guest of honor at an official Missea council meeting.

“So what happened after that?” asked Empress Latiha as Aadi continued to tell his story. She sat one end of the table. Aadi sat at the other end. In between them sat a dozen nobles and council members. Most of them were elderly folk, but there were a few middle-aged people as well. “Is that when you unlocked earth wielding?”

The entire table had grown quiet, hanging on Aadi’s every word. Ishani, who sat in the chair to his right, took his hand in hers and gave it a reassuring squeeze. That cleared his mind a bit.

“Yes. It was after my time in the mines that I uncovered the secrets of earth wielding. I think it was always with me. I just needed a good push to awaken it.”

“That’s great,” said an elderly man. The saggy skin of his cheeks dangled from side to side as he spoke. “This means that we will soon be able to enjoy fruits and vegetables like we did in the past. Our city will once again be the lead exporter in crops now that we have an earth wielder on our side.”

Aadi grimaced. There was something about the old man’s tone he didn’t like. Perhaps it had something to do with his obvious fondness for wealth.

“And more importantly, Mr. Kucchal,” said Latiha. “The people of Missea will no longer go hungry.”

Mr. Kucchal nodded. Though Aadi could tell it was forced. “Yes, of course. The people of Missea will also get their food.” He stood. “I believe that is all for this meeting. I shall retire to my home. I must go over proper farmlands to cultivate.”

“Perhaps that’s a matter you should discuss with Aadi. He is the earth wielder, after all.” Latiha smiled. “That is, if he wants to even speak to you. I don’t think he’ll be happy to hear that you haven’t signed my request to have Ishani sit in at the council meetings.”

“Well….” The councilman gazed at the young empress. “I’ll admit that she has a capable grasp of economics, geography, history, tactics, and literature. Unfortunately, she simply isn’t high born. She comes from a slave family, am I correct?” He smirked to himself. “Besides, I don’t see why Missea’s hero would care what happens to a servant girl.”

Ishani’s jaw clenched. Aadi could tell that it was taking all her willpower for her to remain quiet. An outburst would only further solidify his assumptions that she was a wild peasant girl.

Even though Aadi was angry, he didn’t show it. He slowly stood. “Actually, I do care if Ishani is being mistreated because of her roots.”

Councilman Kucchal face went pale when he noticed Aadi and Ishani holding hands. “O…oh. I…I was unaware that the hero of Missea was courting Lady Ishani. I…I…I.” He pulled the collar free from his neck. “Please, Empress, have the scroll sent to my estate. I shall approve your request at once.” He held his head down and quickly marched out of the chambers. The rest of the councilmen followed suit.

“Pompous fool,” said Latiha, sitting back down in her cushioned chair.

“You’re the empress now,“ Aadi said. “Why do you need his permission to bring Ishani into the council meetings?”