Chapter 4

If you find any grammar mistakes, feel free to point them out.

Have a great Friday night, everyone.

------

CHAPTER 4

Aadi moved over the wooden bridge, past the ramen shop, through the park (which mostly consisted of dead grass and hard dirt), and around the countless beat down cabins. Most were made of hollowed wood, but he saw a few that consisted of palm leaves.

His heart beat hard in his chest as he stood at he city gates of Missea. The sun was now hiding behind the distant mountains, creating a layer of red and pink on the skyline. He scanned the area. Few people moved about the city, mostly men coming back from work in the mines. They wore grimy overalls. Their faces were caked with layers of dirt.

No one paid him any attention. They didn’t even trouble themselves with acknowledging his presence. A short man in a brown tunic looked at him momentarily, but he immediately looked back down and continued on his way.

“Hello there,” said a voice behind him.

He turned around to be welcomed by Ishani’s mesmerizing smile. Her hair came down in silky layers, ending where her neck began. Bindi head jewelry came over her forehead.

For a second he blanked out, unable to formulate full words. All that bravado he had felt when he had first met her had now dissolved. “Um…s…” He cleared his throat. “Hello, you look um…wow.”

Ishani blushed. “Thank you. You look very nice yourself.”

Aadi looked down at the old Rohad uniform he had borrowed from Frode’s collection. He frowned, highly doubting he looked good in the dark brown pants and shirt. “Thanks.”

“So where is this amazing place you spoke so fondly off?”

Still a bit flabbergasted, he pointed toward the rocky path out of the city. “That way. Don’t worry, it’s not too far out, I promise.”

He motioned her forward and she followed along. They walked around the family of half-dead Sicoris trees and down a rocky slope. The air blew briskly, playing with her hair and tickling his nose with the sweet scent of jasmine. It all served to make his insides melt as he searched for words to say. Usually he had no problem talking, but right now he was a full-fledged mute.

After about five minutes, she broke the silence. “So, how many girls do you bring down here to this place of yours?”

He staggered for nervous second. “Me? Why, no other girls. You’re the first one I have ever revealed my secret to.” He guided her off the beaten path and deeper into the thistle-filled desert. A minute later, he spotted the small dark hole in the side of the cliff. From a distance it blended in so well with the rest of the rock wall, that it looked like nothing more than a part of it.

Aadi knew better. “That’s a cave entrance,” he said.

“Cave?” She staggered for a second. “You didn’t say anything about a cave.”

“That’s part of the surprise.”

“I’ll have you know that I have trained with many martial arts masters and am proficient in over a dozen defense styles.” Even though her words were firm, he could tell by her smile that she trusted him.

“I’m glad. That way you can protect me if a bandit attacks. C’mon.” He hunched over and made his way into the musky cave. Behind him, he could hear Ishani grunting softly. A moment later the cave walls extended and they were both able to stand upright. He felt the cool breeze of the mist on his face. A few feet later he saw it. The water of the small pond was as pristine as ever. He could see through it as clearly as he could see Ishani. She stood with eyes wide.