02. Bottoms Up

"Please tell me you're not seriously bringing that thing in here."

"Don't call her 'that thing'," Joey scolded. "She's a she and she has a name."

"And an appropriate one at that," Adrian muttered.

Joey rolled her eyes as she set down the tank she'd been struggling with onto an empty surface. She'd brought as little stuff as she thought she could cope with down to Adrian's room – she didn't want to be indebted to him anymore than she needed to be.

In the tank she'd been carrying – and the source of Adrian's displeasure – was her Brazilian rainbow boa called Blackheart. She knew that bringing a pet snake with her was pushing the hospitality a little, but she'd missed her baby whilst she'd been away from Court. Plus she knew that Adrian had always disliked Blackheart. Joey wanted at least one way to make this ordeal more fun.

Of course, Adrian could have just told her no snakes allowed, but Joey had always managed to get her way when it came to her reptilian friend. Coming from a royal background had helped her learn all the tricks of the trade when trying to get what she wanted.

"Be nice to her or I'll let her loose in your room," Joey warned teasingly. She felt smug because she knew that he'd take her threat all too literally. His dislike for Blackheart certainly stemmed from his fear as a kid.

"That's my point," Adrian grumbled. "Don't you worry that it might escape and kill someone?"

"I highly doubt she'd kill anyone," Joey scoffed.

"But isn't that what those ones do?" Adrian pointed at the tank. His knowledge of snakes wasn't very extensive, but he at least knew that Joey's pet wasn't poisonous. "I thought they could strangle people?"

"She's only a baby," Joey pointed out condescendingly.

Adrian raised his eyebrows. "A baby?" He wasn't sure how a four-foot snake could be classed as a 'baby'.

"She wouldn't be strong enough to overpower an adult person. If anyone thought they were in danger from her, they could easily pull her off," Joey explained. She then looked hopeful and very pointedly added, "Though maybe not if they were drunk or heavily medicated."

"Now you're just winding me up."

"Why don't we test it and find out?" Joey suggested brightly. "I'll go find you some vodka."

"Very funny, Hatchet," said Adrian, unimpressed. Joey scowled at the use of the nickname she'd always hated. "Are you sure that thing's not dangerous?"

"Yes, I'm sure," replied Joey exasperatedly. "If it makes you feel any better, I won't even let her out in here."

"Good," said Adrian, still not looking entirely comfortable with the idea. "You know, most girls would rather have a fluffy bunny or kitten for a pet. Or one of those little dogs that live in handbags."

"They don't count as real dogs; they're just poor excuses," Joey countered. "And I don't even own a handbag."

"Maybe you should try it," Adrian suggested. "It's handy for storing all of a girl's necessities."

"The only necessity I'm going to have is a silver stake," said Joey confidently. "Which I certainly wouldn't keep in a handbag... And any handbag big enough to keep a stake in would just look stupid."

"God forbid you'd care about how you look," teased Adrian. He gave her a look that was half amused, half approving. "Though I guess you do. In your own weird way... I must admit, I think I kinda like the whole rocker chick look."