Ch.3

Riley walked downstairs and saw Aimee there. She rolled her eyes. "What do you want?" She asked.

"Come on Riles. You gotta understand, mum was never around. I wanted to better my life. For me and for you. I was always going to come back for you," Aimee said.

Riley frowned. "You were?"

"Yeah. Babes, you're my little sister and I love you so much. Mum isn't around and you need someone. It's either that or you're being taken to a care home. Please. Say you'll come and stay with me?" Aimee asked.

Riley found herself nodding. She went upstairs to pack some stuff. She looked around her room.

She knew she was hurting over Aimee leaving her. But she didn't want to go into care. She knew she would cause trouble and they would keep moving on.

***

Riley and Aimee got back to Aimee's house. Riley was shocked at how homely it looked. She smiled. "This looks nice."

"Thanks babes. My fiancée bought it and I decorated it all," Aimee said.

"Fiancée?"

Aimee nodded. "I'm engaged. You know Mr Tyler from the school? Him. We met two years ago."

Riley frowned. "You're engaged? To the executive head at my school?" She asked.

Aimee smiled slightly and looked at her. "He's not the same as when he's in school babes."

***

Riley walked into the house. She saw Max walking downstairs. "Hello Riley."

"Mr Tyler."

Max smiled. "Call me Max when we're not in school. Has Aimee told you the news?" He asked as he walked into the living room.

Riley frowned and turned to her sister. "What news?"

"I'm pregnant. Two months along. I didn't want to tell you when I first came back cause I wanted to focus on you," Aimee said.

Riley grinned and hugged her sister. "Congratulations!"

***

Riley saw Simon pulling up and she frowned. "Why is Mr Lowsley here?" She asked.

"He's come to make sure you've settled in. Something about an interest in you. Cause mum is neglecting you," Aimee said as she looked at her. She sighed. "It's going to be okay. You've always got a home here."

Riley smiled slightly and nodded. She knew it would be hard for her to settle in. But she wanted to try.

Simon walked in and smiled. "Hello Riley. I trust you're settling in fine?" He asked.

"It'll take time sir. But like you said, I had no choice. Either with my sister or a care home," Riley said. She was annoyed with him for wanting her to go into care.

Simon nodded. He could tell that Riley was being stubborn. "You'll be happy here. Your sister. Instead of being at home alone."

Riley rolled her eyes. "You don't understand. I was perfect the way I was. I was eating, showering and taking care of myself."

Simon sighed. "You need looking after Riley.  It's not right that your mother leaves you for weeks on end. You need proper care," he told her.

"Just back off! You're nothing important at all! You're just a pathetic deputy head who has to meddle in my life because you have nothing of interest in yours," Riley yelled.

Simon said nothing. He stood up and looked at Max. "Thank you for taking her in. I'll inform the social worker and they'll do a home assessment."

***

Riley was sitting in her room and sighed. The door opened and Aimee walked in. "Max told me what happened. Are you okay?" She asked.

"No. I'm messed up Aims. My own mother doesn't even want to be around. She would rather work," Riley said.

Aimee smiled. "You've always got me and Max babes. I'm gonna need your help when I've had the baby. Aunty Riley to the rescue?"

Riley looked at Aimee and nodded. But could she truly settle in? All she had on her mind was one thing; did she let Simon get away with interfering in her life?