Chapter 1

I sat there in the waiting room, kicking my legs back and forth, and waiting for the inevitable.

 A month had passed since my mother's death. I was shipped off to this orphanage almost immediately, and today was the day I was getting adopted. Well, I say adopted, but it was actually my father who was taking me into care. I'd rather it be a complete stranger, though.

 If it wasn't for my fa- Kyle, my mother wouldn't have killed herself. It was his fault she ended up so messed up. I still don't understand the reason why, since my mother always left me out of the bad stuff in her life. She didn't want to taint my innocence so always smiled around me.

 But I knew she was sad inside.

"Freesia." A woman's gentle voice spoke to me, leaning her head around the corner of the wall. I looked her way with a slightly inquisitive look on my face. "Your father's here. You're going home, sweetie." She added.

 As she spoke those words, my face turned blank.

I slipped off the seat and made my way to the front desk with a large backpack on my shoulder. When I reached it, I noticed a man standing at the desk. Kyle. I could tell who he was by his face. Even though I haven't seen him for over 7 years, I knew it was him. He was still very tall compared to me and that brown hair of his was the exact shade of mine.

 I couldn't even try a smile towards him, I loathed him too much.

 When he looked my way, a simple smile played on his lips. But as he noticed my expression, completely unmoved, it faded to a frown.

"Freesia. It's been so long, you've grown!" He spoke to me, walking my way and holding out his hands for a hug.

 He wrapped them around me, but I pushed him away with my backpack, giving him a blank look. That man wasn't worth any place in my heart. I walked past him and to the front desk where the woman who called me earlier was standing.

"Bye, Janice." I was able to whisper to her in a meek voice. I went and hugged her and it was returned.

Janice was probably the only adult in the orphanage that I grew attached to. She was actually well acquainted with my mother and she told me a lot about her. Hearing about my mother... It helped ease my pain a little. It made me even happier that she was the mother she was, and not a sleazy douchebag. Janice reminded me a lot of her, actually. She had the same red curls and those deep blue eyes, but my mother had dimples on both cheeks when she smiled. They made her look all the more gentle...

 I felt Janice's hand rub my back encouragingly "Take care, Freesia honey." She whispered in my ear a "Good luck." before pulling away and stroking my cheek in a motherly way.

 I smiled at her and stepped back, turning to Kyle and showing him nothing more than a blank expression. I quietly followed him out the revolving door and into a black Sedan parked directly in front of the orphanage.

 I didn't want to spend too much time alone with that man. I didn't trust him the slightest. Why should I?