08 | Worst Fears

THERE WAS SOMETHING different, something more heartwrenching to Davina, about being on the outside of the asylum and knowing that she could not return to Hogwarts. As she walked the platform among the ranks of the rest of the Order, who were maintaining a discreet circle around Potter, she peered past the drooping hood of her emerald-green cloak to view the muggles bustling to and fro on their commutes. They were only a few platforms away from Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters, but Sirius -- in his animagus form of a black dog -- ambled into an empty reception room to speak to Harry in private. Davina stared longingly at the closed door for a moment until Nymphadora approached her from behind.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm better than I was last week or last month," She replied vaguely.

Nymphadora chuckled breathily and walked into her line of vision so that she was forced to look at her. "I'm sorry you can't attend school this year with your brother and friend. Maybe next year, when this all blows over-"

"-There won't be a next year. Not for me, at least. Even if I do intend to return to Hogwarts, it won't be the same."

"How do you mean?" She lowered her voice, glancing around them to make sure no one was listening.

Davina's eyes darkened and she set her jaw. She recalled last week when she reunited with Draco and Theo, and they told her of their impending induction ceremonies. Lucius made it a point to have it done after Draco's sixteenth birthday in June, and since all of the kids their age usually had their ceremonies put together in the honor and presence of the Dark Lord, Theo would be getting his around then, too. She had so little time to try to think of a way out of this for them. She contemplated fleeing to America and starting new lives there at the Ilvermony School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, or going into hiding until they came of age and were no longer under their parents' control, or even having them join the Order. Each scenario brought with it its own pros and cons, and each of them would be fairly difficult to accomplish. Just the thought of it all made her head spin.

"My father plans to induct Draco into the ranks of the deatheaters by next summer -- before he's even of age. I suppose it's to compensate for disowning his eldest child." Davina replied bitterly. "My first and most important priority is protecting my little brother from any who wish to harm him. I will do that, Nymphadora, no matter the cost. I won't let him suffer that fate."

The older woman bit her lip. "And if you can't stop it from happening?"

Davina averted her gaze and set her jaw once more, leaving her question unanswered. Nymphadora maintained her steady stare, waiting for a response, but Harry emerged from the room a moment later and they were on the move again. Once they shuffled through the crowd of muggles and passed through the barrier, Davina parted ways with them to find Draco and Theo while they escorted Harry onto the train.

It didn't take long for her to find them. She spotted Draco's tall, thin figure and platinum blonde hair over the bustling crowd first. Beside him, Theo was loading his trunk onto the train. Both of them wore their usual impassive, even unapproachable expressions that was usually customary of Slytherins. Davina inched up beside her brother.

"Hello, boys." They could hear the smile in her voice. "Did you really think I wouldn't see you off?"

Theo whirled around and Draco gaped at her. He pulled his sister in for a hug and a small smile broke his otherwise cold expression.

"What are you doing here?" Theo exclaimed. "What if you're seen?!"

"Promise me you'll make this year count." She ignored his questions and brought his face into her hands. He was momentarily surprised by the affectionate action and the coldness of her hands. His dark brown eyes flashed with doubt -- how could they have a good year at Hogwarts without her? -- and she noticed it. "Don't worry about me. I'll be just fine knowing that you two are alright. Make memories, send me shit from Hogsmeade, and tell Blaise and Pansy I love them."