61 | The Search for the Stone

IT WAS A thrilling experience to watch two people of extremes, the saviors of this war, face each other at long last in the presence of the most influential individuals within the Order. Davina Malfoy and Harry Potter had a tumultuous and confusing past, but they were aware of one irreputable fact, and that was that over the years they had built upon each other's sacrifices and good deeds. Now, they stood amongst each other as declared allies at last, and to watch them bounce ideas and information off of each other was truly astonishing. It was as though they were two extremes to the same coin -- the sacrificial martyrs, both having impossible evils trust upon them only to choose goodness in the end. 

"Your biggest mistake was trying to do this in stages. Kill the snake, ambush his bases, kill him. He's anticipating that, and that's why you'll lose. Again." Davina spoke, staring down Potter from the opposite end of the table. She stood at the head of an elongated table in a room with her friends and family, and vital members of the Order including Kingsley, McGonagall, Neville, and the Peverells.

"The snake is the last horcrux. If we kill it, he'll finally be vulnerable."

"Vulnerable, but not weak. Riddle was an extremely powerful individual even before he split his soul. He is the descendant of Salazar Slytherin through the House of Gaunt bloodline. He was able to control the basilisk within the Chamber of Secrets long before he first split his soul."

Harry nodded, "And he'll still have the Elder Wand in his possession."

"No, he wont." She replied contritely, "I'm going to take it from him."

McGonagall laughed incredulously, "You say that as if it'll be easy!"

Davina turned her gaze to her. "Dumbledore saw to it that I would be the one to disarm him that night on the astronomy tower. Not only are the deathly hallows rightfully mine by blood right, but the wand's allegiance lies with me as the one who took it from its rightful owner."

The mention of Dumbledore's death put solemn expression on each of their faces, and Draco avoided meeting their eyes. 

"What I'm getting at is that we need the upper hand, not an even playing ground. The fight in which we kill the snake must be the same fight that we kill him once and for all. To ensure this, we must acquire the deathly hallows."

"Even if the others do exist, we have no way of knowing where to start looking for them." Neville chimed in. 

"We do, actually." Harry met Davina's gaze and nodded. "Dumbledore located all three, albeit at different times. He was the owner of the Elder Wand once, and we already know where that is."

Davina's eyes glittered. "And we know where the cloak is, as well." 

"The Potters are a branch from the Peverell bloodline. The invisibility cloak was passed down from the youngest of the three legendary Peverell brothers-"

"-Ignotius." Gideon chimed in. Memories of the day she woke up on the broken grave of Ignotius Peverell flashed through her mind and she averted her gaze elsewhere. Theo placed his hand on hers. 

"Yeah. Well, eventually it passed to my great-grandfather Henry Potter, then his son Fleamont, and then to my dad. Dumbledore had borrowed the cloak shortly before my dad died -- probably to study it -- but was too late to return it to him. He gifted it back to me in my first year..." Potter reached into his satchel and pulled out the silky black cloak. He laid in out on the table. "I've kept it ever since."

"The only shocking takeaway I got from this story is that Davina's distantly related to saint Potter." Draco murmured to Theo who couldn't help but grin. 

"That only leaves the Resurrection Stone." Gideon voiced, biting the inside of his cheek. Most of the people in that room were thinking of what Davina had shared with them a few days ago about resurrecting Nymphadora, Remus, Fred, and others at the battle of Hogwarts.