Dead End

Medical Examiner's Office

Katy's eyes searched the dead body of Molly Callahan. Her eyes stopping on the faint iris tattoo on her waist. The gears in her mind spun. She turned to examine the other body as well. A daisy tattoo. It was just as she had feared. Someone was coming after them. 2 agents were dead. And it seemed that she was their next target.

Reid watched the woman with interest in his eyes. He could literally see the gears churning in her mind. He was attracted to her. The way her dark brown hair fell across her face as she leaned down to examine the bodies. Her fingers as they swept her hair away. Her mysterious golden eyes as they darted back and forth, searching for answers. The way her brow furrowed when she was thinking. He was drawn to her in way that that he could not understand.

"Do you recognize them?" Reid broke the silence in the room.

"No.." She shook her head. Guilt poked at her for lying. It wasn't totally true. She had recognized their figures. The tattoos helped her to confirm who they were. Iris and Daisy. Agents of the Garden. They were regular citizens when they weren't on assignments. But they were strong. Who ever did this was strong enough to get to them, and had enough knowledge of their Agents to connect the three of them.

"Can I help with this case?" Katy whirled around to look at Reid. The tears she had forced out where threatening to fall. "These girls.. they remind me of him..I want to help you stop the person who did this."

"We'd have to ask H-hotch.." Reid found himself unable to say no to her. She nodded as they pair headed back to the headquarters.

BAU Headquarters [Quantico, Virginia]

It had almost been two days since Katy had joined in on the investigation. They had barely made any progress in the case aside from learning the identity of the first victim. Katy did her own digging back at the Garden and found Daisy's name: Donna Luthers. To the BAU, Katy had asked her contacts in high places for some favors and had gotten a match in DNA.

"Have we found a connection between the two victims?" Hotch spoke to the Garcia through the phone in the meeting room.

"None. Zip. Nada." Garcia's response came through. "I've tried looking at every possible connection and I cannot seem to find anything."

"This is planned. The UNSUB would have had to found them somewhere." Prentiss mused aloud, "The planted notes point to the next victim.."

The room looked at Katy. The owner of the next number on this psycho's list. "Are you sure you've never seen any of them before?" Rossi asked her.

She shook her head. She couldn't possibly tell them the truth. The Garden was as top secret as they could come. Reid would be horrified at the work she did. The bodies she left behind. He would not look at her the same again. She didn't want that.

"He could work at the DMV.." Katy offered, "These could be random numbers that he's pulling from the system?"

The team looked at her. "Of course.." Reid followed up, his brain kicking into high gear. "That would make sense. That's why there's no obvious connection. That's how he gets their information as well."

"I'll try to compile a list but it will be long without much to narrow it down." Garcia chirped on the other end, typing away.

Katy stepped away to answer her phone, a familiar number on the screen.

"Director." Her voice was barely a whisper, but she knew the Director could hear her.

"The cases they were working on are being delivered to your desk."

"Do you have any idea who did this?"

"No. But be careful. To have taken out two of our agents, whoever did this is strong."

"Director.." Katy was unsure if she should ask, but she pushed on. "Do you think they could've talked? or that there's been a leak?"

"No. Their training saw to that." The Director was silent for a moment. "I have Poppy looking into such a possibility."

"Thank you. Please let me know if you find out anything new." Katy stuffed her phone back into her pocket and glanced at the team working away to make sure no one noticed when she slipped away. She didn't notice Reid look up as she hurried away. Reid felt that she knew more than she was letting on, but he kept it to himself. He felt it in his gut. Even though he knew it wasn't logical, something about this case gave him a bad feeling.

Katy arrived at her desk to find an envelope sitting at the top of her case files. She leafed through the papers inside, hurriedly shredding them once she was done. In her mind, she read over their assignments over and over.

Both of them had been sent to infiltrate the Prophecy of God, a dangerous religious cult who sought to replace world leaders with their religious figureheads. She had been sent to deal with one of their members years ago.

Williams. Amanda and Alexander Williams. The names sounded familiar to her.

Williams. Williams. Williams.

Something clicked in her head. She knew who was behind it. It's going to get messy. She sighed, leaning back into her chair.

"Katy? Are you okay?" Her eyes flew open, hearing his voice. He was looking down at her, worry in his face.

"Oh.. Spencer. Hi." She smiled, looking up at him. "I'm just..frustrated that we haven't gotten a lead yet."

"We did come up with a pro-" Reid was cut off by Katy's phone. She shot him a sorry look and answered her phone.

"Poppy will meet you at Gulliver's Cafe. 3 p.m. today. Red poppy dress. Carry roses." The line went dead after the Director's instructions. They must have found something. She looked at the clock. 2:30 P.M. She didn't have time to waste.

"I have to go." Katy practically shot out of her seat, scaring the young doctor. "I might have a lead."

"What?" Reid looked at her. "Then, let me come with you."

"You can't.." Katy stopped him. She thought for a moment and scribbled a number down. "If I'm not back in 2 hours, call this number and tell them what happened. They'll know what to do."

"B-but.."Reid started to protest, but she cut him off.

"I will be fine. Don't tell anyone what I'm doing..I want to make sure it's legitimate before I let them know."

Before he could stop her, she was already out the door. He could only watch as she left, a sense of uneasiness growing inside him. "Be careful Katy." He mumbled to himself.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"And think not that you can direct the course of love. For love finds you worthy directs your course."

—Khalil Gibran's The Prophet

P.S: I DO NOT OWN CRIMINAL MINDS