Ipinangako niya sa'kin noon na balang araw isang De Leon ang mapapangasawa ko.

But he's not pushing me about anything like that anymore. And somehow it makes me at peace. Or maybe because he knows that Javier and I already met. I don't know. Sometimes, I really don't know what's running in his mind.

''That's good to know.'' he sighed, a little bit calmer this time.

Ngumiti ako at tumayo para makapagpaalam na. He let me. I was about to open the door and leave when he called my name for the last time. Lumingon ako at nakitang mas seryoso ang mga mata ni Lolo. Kinabahan ako. Ngunit nang ipakita niya sa'kin ang kanyang ngiti, doon muling gumaan ang aking pakiramdam.

I saw the man I've been really looking up to, my strong yet gentle grandfather.

''But when it's too much, Vernaise, stop and learn how to surrender.''

Surrender. Learn how to surrender? I don't know what that is. It's not in my vocabulary yet.

But I'll make sure to remember that.

Days passed by so fast, and another Christmas came. Then came the end of the year. Two days after new year, our family was invited to a brunch and a golf match game with some of Lolo's associates.

Some of these family are our family's friend. Some are not but still has a name in the society. At tulad ko, kasama din ang kanilang mga anak. These are one of those low-key events where the parents usually pair up their kids with someone. I know it too well.

Nauna ang laro, dahil iyon ang gusto nila Lolo. The women watched the game. Some of them also expected me to watch it with them.

I only smiled at their offer.

''Aba! Magaling palang maglaro ang apo mo, Vicente!'' anas ng isang matandang lalaki nang makapapasok ako ng isang bola sa butas.

I smiled at the man. ''It's just luck po. I'm still a beginner in this sport, Sir.''

''She knows how to humble herself, too!''

Lolo laughed. He went to me and tapped my shoulders proudly. He looked at the man, and they talked. I could hear the way how Lolo brag my name, kahit noong tapos na ang laro at pabalik na kami.

Napailing na lamang ako.

Nang makabalik ay agad akong sinalubong ni Mommy ng yakap. I hugged her back. Sa kanyang likod ay nakita ko ang iilang kuryusong tingin ng ibang tao. Nakita iyon ni Mama kaya nginitian niya ako.

''They saw how you played, they're curious about you. But I didn't tell them much because I feel like they're going to start pairing you with their sons.'' natatawang paliwanang ni Mommy.

Ngumuso ako, kinalaunan ay hindi na rin napigilang tumawa.

''Is she your only daughter, Steven?''

Nahinto ako sa pag-inom ng tubig nang marinig ang aking pangalan. The brunch already started. They're talking about business first... pero ngayon ay narinig ko na ang pangalan ko.

''Yes.''

''How old are you, iha? I saw how you play, you play good!'' ani ng isang mahinhing babae.

I looked at the woman if front of me. Basing on how she looks, her age is just close with my mom... or a bit older. But not that old yet. Beside her is her husband. Lolo said their family owns one of the biggest law firm in the country.

''I'm nineteen po.'' I smiled. ''I'm not good at it yet. I only learned through my father and grandfather.''

Tumango siya at ngumiti. She glanced at my parents. ''I'm really amaze with your daughter, Steven! I thought she'll join us watch the game, I even plan to talk to her... but she joined the game instead!''

I glanced at my Lolo when he started laughing again.

''Vernaise doesn't like watching games. She likes joining the competition and win. She's too competitive that sometimes it scares me.'' he chuckled. Nagtawanan din ang mga tao sa aming harap. ''But it's alright, one day, she'll be able to use it in handling our businesses.''

''Are you already in college, iha? What are you taking?''

I shook my head. ''It's still months from now po. But I'm planning to take accountancy.''

''Oh, you don't want to be a lawyer like your father and grandfather?'' the husband asked.

I glanced at my father when he cleared his throat.

''We are not pressuring Vernaise in anything like that. We let her decide on her own. Kung anong gusto niya, tatanggapin na lamang namin. As her parents, we're here to support her in her decisions.''

I pursed my lips when I heard my Dad. Tiningnan niya ako at binigyan ng isang matamis na ngiti. I smiled back at him.

''But of course, Vernaise is to inherit the wealth of the Sarmiento's. I know she'll take it into consideration when she decides on things like these.'' si Lolo, at nilingon ako.

I cleared my throat, smiling at the people who are waiting for my stand on this.

Naramdaman ko ang marahang pagpisil ni Mommy ng aking kamay. Alangan ang kanyang tingin. Maybe she's nervous because I haven't talked to them about my plan.

But I already gave my grandfather an insight about it. And he approves.

''I think accountancy is my best choice right now po. I'll be able to help in our business. And once I'm already a CPA, I can take law so I can help with the law firm as well.''

''Oh, wow! That's very nice!''

''You really do have a brilliant child, Steven. I can't believe I just met her today!'' the lady exclamied. ''Apollo's into law, too. If my son is just here, he'll be amaze with you as well!''

Uminit ang pisngi ko. Hindi na nakapagsalita sa kanilang mga nasabi. Sina Daddy na lamang ang sumalo sa mga iyon. And at the end, they teased me about being shy while being praised. I only let out a soft chukle after that.

The brunch ended fast after few socialization. Some of the men tried to talk to me but I kept it fast and brief. I don't want to be rude but I don't want to hold it long, too. No one catches my interest. They are handsome indeed, but that's all. They're rich. But I don't need a rich man. I need a man beyond his richness. I need something that'll caught my attention. I need someone worthy.

Or I'm just not really interested to anyone right now. I don't know. But it's about time to change that. Hanggang hindi pa ako nakakabalik sa Santa Monica ay kailangan kong matuto ng mga bagay-bagay para maging handa.

Maybe it's time to meet new people and gain experiences.

#DATETHEENEMY