''Is this about the De Leons?'' he asked, seriously. ''They are the last people you're with when you went home that day. Your father said, you looked happy when you asked his permission to go with the De Leons. But you came home...'' hindi na tinapos pa.

''I'm just tired that day, Lolo. We did a lot of activities.''

''You don't look like that when you're tired.''

Now I'm wondering what do I look like when I'm tired for Lolo to say such thing.

''What is your relationship with them, Vernaise?''

Medyo nagulat ako dahil ngayon lamang si Lolo nag-tanong tungkol sa mga De Leon. He never questioned me about the De Leons, neither my relationship with them.

''Kaibigan...''

''Hmm, kaibigan? Kahit si Javier de Leon?'' he asked suspiciously. I didn't answer. ''I heard he's in a relationship with the former vice mayor's daughter, Helena Madriaga.''

Helena Madriaga... Helena? The girl he's with the last time I saw him? He's still with that girl? Oh, wow, medyo matagal na, ha? So he's really serious with her?

Right, no wonder. The last time I saw them... whatever.

''I'm only friends with Solenn and her brother, Lolo. I'm not friends with Javier.'' I said the last sentence without bitterness because it was the truth.

Javier and I are not friends. I did not and never will consider him as one of my friends.

''Solenn Tamara's older brother?'' he asked, I nodded. ''Is that Rhys Alexander?''

''Yes po.'' I let out a heavy sigh when he was about to say something. ''Lolo, I want to focus in my studies for now. I'm going to graduate soon. I'll just visit you one of these days.''

''Is that what you want?''

''Yes.''

''What about after that?'' he probed.

My face hardened. ''I'll take accountancy for college.''

''Accountancy!'' medyo gulat niyang saad. ''That's what Javier is taking... do you know that?''

Hindi ako kumibo. Tinitigan ko na lamang ang aking mga daliri dahil hindi ko na alam kung anong sasabihin.

''Vernaise, as much as I want you to be close with that man, I still want you to think more about your own future. And not just decide things without thinking it a lot of times.''

Hilaw akong ngumiti. ''Pinag-isipan ko na nang mabuti ang kinabukasan ko, Lolo.''

I heard him clearing his throat, followed by a deep sigh.

''Vernaise in every decision you make, you're choosing a path that will take you somewhere. Be careful, and decide well on what path to take, it'll lead you to your desired destination.''

My eyes flickered to met Lolo's serious and dark eyes. This is the my grandfather who's always hard in his teachings. I feel the tension rising. It's like he's challenging me for something.

''But it won't be an easy road, Vernaise. Along the way, you might get hurt and ruined. You might need to sacrifice a lot. But if you really want to reach the end of that road, even if you bleed, stand up and fight. You're a Sarmiento. I know you'll make it there.'' he said.

''Lolo, you know I'll never give up without putting a fight.'' I chuckled to ease the little tension I'm feeling.

I don't know why Lolo's suddenly saying these things to me. Akala ko muli niya akong ipagpipilitang kay Javier. I thought he'd say that Javier's the one that I'll marry someday, tulad nang mga sinasabi niya noong bata pa ako.