The two of them just sat there waiting for him to wake up, and surprisingly it didn't take long. The Hokage sat up, looking around at the people in the room in confusion. "Tsunade? Hebi? What is it you're doing here in my room? And look at the time, I was meant to be testing an anbu candidate hours ago."

Hebi's surprise was hidden by the mask he was wearing, but Tsunade's was more visible. Luckily, the former took action and decided to explain things. "You did test the candidate, Hokage sama. You were acting strange and then suddenly collapsed, which is why Tsunade is here."

"Strangely, I couldn't find a thing wrong with you. It's odd that you don't remember anything, since there are no signs of brain injury. Or any injuries at all, for that matter," she explained, sighing and glancing towards Hebi. "I have work to do, so I can't stay here looking after a perfectly well person. Can you look after him for me?"

The anbu nodded and Tsunade took one last look towards Minato before leaving. The Hokage looked at him curiously and tilted his head. "If you don't mind me asking, what was your opinion on the candidate? Did he pass?"

Hebi nodded in response. "Yes, Hokage-sama. In fact, I would be willing to take him on myself, if you would allow it." The Anbu captain had not a clue what game Minato was playing, whether he had genuinely forgotten or it was an act, but either way he knew that he needed to have a way to keep the boy away from the wrong hands. He was strong, and he would only get stronger as the years passed. Hebi knew that especially if things happened in the future they would need Daidai on their side, since he had seen the loyalty that particularly Shikaku, Anko, Shizune and Tsunade showed towards him. If he decided to leave, at least some of them were very likely to leave Konoha as well, and that would be extremely bad.

Minato seemed genuinely happy about his words, clapping and giving him a warm smile that was completely genuine. "You may take off your mask, Hebi," he told him kindly. The anbu captain Hebi, or rather Naoki Hibiki, did as asked and looked up at his leader. "For as long as I've known you, you've never been one to willingly interact with people. What has brought on this change of heart, that you of all people want to take on someone?"

Hibiki shrugged and ran a hand through his brown locks, closing his eyes. "He is, special, to say the least. There have been a number of highly regarded ninja taking interest in him, none of whom I will name, and I believe that I can help him in his journey. He needs experience more than anything, and I do not plan to take him on too many dangerous missions initially because of that, or too many at first either as he still needs time to train and work on his skills. If you will allow me to oversee him, I will know what's best for him. I'm afraid that this might make him seem weak, but he is anything but. He is just young, and I also do not want to completely take away his childhood. I don't quite know how to word things properly, I hope that makes sense enough to you."

Minato laughed softly and shook his head. "No, I understand. You see that he has potential and he needs experience without all the pressure on him of both fame and the constant need to work. Very well then, Hibiki-san, I will allow you to have this boy work under you and I trust that you will look after him well. You are one of my most trusted ninja and I know you wouldn't do anything without good reason. Now tell me, just what is this boy's name?"

"Ichigo, no, Uzumaki Daidai."

x-X-x

Daidai woke up in a sweat, panting heavily. His chakra exhaustion had rendered him unconscious for about three days, in a state of fever that Kurama hadn't done anything about. Why? Because said chakra beast had been angry about what he had done and didn't want to heal him completely. They had discussed everything that had happened already, and they were now on good terms, but he still didn't want to heal the boy as a minor way of holding a grudge. If Daidai could look after himself and block out Kurama in the midst of an important battle, then he could get over the fever on his own, which he mostly had.