μηδέν

Emma clung to the imposing gate's icy iron bars, her curiosity piqued. "What is this?" she asked with wide-eyed curiosity.

     "It's a gate," Ray calmly replied, observing the structure with a hint of recognition. "It connects the inside and the outside."

     "Outside?" Emma tilted her head as she attempted to comprehend what lay beyond the boundaries of their world.

With her brilliant ruby-red eyes, Ninelie inched closer, intrigued by the mystery in front of them. She inquired, "What is there outside?" with genuine curiosity.

     "I don't know," Ray conceded, his gaze fixed on the horizon in the distance.

Emma interjected, recalling their sheltered upbringing. "We've never been outside. We have lived here our entire lives, since birth."

     "That's right," Norman nodded in agreement, "Mama always warned us. Don't go near the gate or fence in the back of the forest because it's dangerous."

Ray interjected, with a rebellious gleam in his eyes, "But that's obviously a lie."

Emma regarded the entrance with a mixture of apprehension and anticipation. 

     "The inside looks scary, but I'm curious to see what's beyond," Ninelie confessed as she reached out to touch the metal bars.

Norman couldn't help musing aloud, "If you could go outside, what would you want to do?"

Her snow-white hair glistened in the dim light as she pondered the question for a moment. "I haven't given it much thought yet," she admitted. "What about you, Emma?"

     "Me?" Emma's eyes glowed with hopes and desires. "I want to ride a giraffe!" she exclaimed with contagious enthusiasm.

Ray sighed, "Good luck with that."

However, Norman stared intently at the gate while deep in thought. "From what exactly are these bars and this gate protecting us?"