Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen | Argument 

[Narrator]   

Eight twenty-three in the evening, a soft glow emanated from the lamp on the table, casting elongated shadows on the walls. The six children huddled together, their expressions a mixture of anxiety and curiosity. Ray, positioned behind Norman, leaned casually against the wall, while Emma sat across Don and Gilda, who seemed uneasy under the circumstances. Ninelie, with her arms crossed, stood behind Emma, adding an air of secrecy to the room.

   "Well?" Ray broke the deafening silence.

Don hesitated, his brows furrowing as he began, "We went to check out Mama's secret room."

   "Wha—how?" Emma asked.

Gilda glanced up at Emma before admittin, "Don...stole the key."

   "From Mama?" Ninelie queried.

Norman chimed in, "Did she notice that the key was missing?"

   "I don't think she did," Gilda replied, her gaze shifting downward, "We returned the key, too. She probably didn't know..."

Ray couldn't hold back his frustration, his eyes narrowing as he scolded them, "Do you have any idea how stupid that was?"

The scolding made Gilda flinch slightly, realizing the gravity of their actions.

Ray continued with a stern tone, "What if that room had cameras, bugs, or an alarm? If Mama or Sister Krone found out, you guys...no, we could all—"

   "Go on. Tell us what would happen." Don interrupted, his voice filled with defiance as he glared back at Ray.

Facing Emma, Don's anger was evident as he spoke. "We'd be killed? We...found Conny's Little Bunny in that room. Why..."

   "I kept telling you before, but you just wouldn't believe me," Ninelie said.

   "I know that!" Don shot up from his seat, his voice raised slightly. "Then, why'd you both try to trick us? What kept you from telling us the truth about what really happened to Conny?" He cholerically eyed Emma and Norman, demanding an answer.

   "Sorry!" Emma said, standing up from her seat. "I'm sorry!" She bowed her head down, apologetically.

   "So..." Gilda looked at Ninelie in terror, "...it's true?"

Ninelie lowered her gaze, followed with a small nod.

   "...That's not the only thing that you're hiding from us, isn't it?" Don scowled bitterly, "What are you waiting for?"