Chapter Two

Chapter Two | Routine

[Narrator]

The sun began its ascent over the horizon, casting a gentle glow upon the Grace Field House, where the children's daily routine unfolded like clockwork. In the early hours, the kids rose from their slumber, eager to assist their custodian, the enigmatic Mama Isabella, with various chores. As the morning haze lifted, they sat together for their daily test, their minds sharpened by complex puzzles and questions, seeking to earn the coveted high scores that defined their worth and garnered their praise.

Amid the bustling activity, Ninelie found herself dutifully hanging freshly laundered sheets on a pole, a task she carried out diligently each day. Being one of the eldest children in the House, she bore a significant burden of responsibilities, never shirking from her duties. Across the open field, laughter and playful shrieks echoed as the others, except Ray, immersed themselves in a spirited game of tag within the forest.

Ray, with his characteristic contemplative demeanor, chose a different path, finding solace under the shade of a towering tree, engrossed in the pages of a book. Unlike his energetic companions, he neither reveled in physical games nor succumbed to indolence. His brilliance and intelligence made him an invaluable asset in the House, where every child was meticulously nurtured for a mysterious purpose.

As the sun climbed higher in the sky, and Ninelie continued her chores, her thoughts wandered back to the earlier incident—the daily test results. The announcement of their perfect scores, the four top-notchers namely—Emma, Ninelie, Ray, and Norman—elicited mixed emotions within her. 

     "Congratulations! Our four top-notchers once again! Emma, Ninelie, Ray, and Norman, perfect 300s!"  Isabella's voice resounded inside Ninelie's head.

Beneath the facade of celebration, she held a silent inner turmoil, contemplating the true meaning behind their scores.

These high scores were a testament to the children's talents and hard work, a source of pride and encouragement. But Ninelie knew better; she understood the dark truth veiled behind these apparent accolades. The points they earned were not mere indicators of intelligence; they represented their worth as commodities, valuable resources to a world far crueler than they could imagine.

The children of Grace Field House were not mere orphans; they were engineered to be so. Born out of necessity rather than love, they were the product of a sinister design, fated to serve a terrible purpose—to be offered as sacrificial lambs to the monstrous beings lurking beyond the gates of the House.