Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three | Shipped Out

 [Narrator]

❮   Six Years Ago  ❯

    "Nina," Ray spoke softly, gazing out of the frosted window as the snowflakes continued their graceful descent on the chilly January night.

   "What is it?" Ninelie responded, gently lowering the fallboard to cover the piano keys, its mahogany surface gleaming in the soft lamplight.

Ray turned around to face her, a soft smile tugging at his lips. "Happy Birthday," he greeted warmly.

Ninelie's face lit up with joy, and she replied, "Happy Birthday to you too, Ray."

Born on the 15th of January, Ray and Ninelie were kindred spirits, destined to share not only a birthday but also a unique connection that transcended the ordinary.

   "We'll be turning six, fifteen minutes from now," Ray announced with anticipation, the passing of time seeming to accelerate in the excitement of the moment.

   "Which reminds me, I'll be heading to bed now," Ninelie yawned, stretching her arms high above her head.

Ray, however, was not ready to let the night slip away so easily. "Come on, let's wait for the clock to hit twelve. Please?" he pleaded with puppy-dog eyes.

Despite her fatigue, Ninelie couldn't resist Ray's request. "Don't look at me like that—you know  I'm always sleep-deprived."

Ray tried to entice her, "Why don't you play the piano for a change?"