Chapter 6: Perfect

Two and a half years since we broke up. Eight months since I last reached out. This time though, I felt confident. I felt like we were both ready to grow a friendship again.

We talked All night. And while all the text seems terrific and joyful, I was not. I cry. Every time I reach out again, I call. It is the happy moments that make me the saddest. Because when we are getting along, it makes me think of what we did have at some point. And how, if we had met now instead of then, it would be perfect. But... it will never be perfect.

I haven't even thought of you in months. Not because I hated you, but because I was busy. With school and work, we both had our own lives until this week.

Your mom posted you. At first, I ignored it. Then you posted a picture. I tried to ignore it, but it crossed my mind way too many times. Then that night, as I couldn't sleep, I kept thinking to myself... I can't even listen to that song still, after more than two years. I can't sing anymore without thinking of you being the first one to love the sound of my voice. I still can't delete the pictures from my phone. They hold too many memories. But most of all, I can't forget you. I never will.

I'm trying, though, To make this friendship work this time, trying not to lose touch. Tell me, though, how do you just stay friends with someone you still love with your whole heart?