Adref (Home)

"Again?"

 "Yes."

                                                                                               "She's just a baby. Please."

"Need I remind you of the consequences?"

                                                                                               Silence.

"We will take her tonight. Let her drink only the formula."

                                                                                                Silence.

The other line cut out with a loud buzz. The woman hung up the phone. She cried.

               "Mama? Is everything alright?" It was her eldest daughter, Katarine, who spoke first. She was only eight then. The mother wiped her eyes quickly. "Who was on the phone?" Katarine went to her mother, climbed onto her lap, and nestled her head beneath her mother's chin.

              "The doctor. He is coming here later tonight," the mother answered. Little Katarine looked up at her mother. This happened often; the doctor visiting late at night to observe the woman's youngest child, Enid. "So be sure to be well-behaved tonight. Don't ask questions."

               "Okay, Mama," Katarina said, jumping down from her mother's lap. "Can I go play?"

              "Katarina--"

              The girl pouted. "But Mama!" 

              Her mother let out an exasperated sigh. "Fine, but when you come back, you're helping me clean the house," she said. It was no use telling her daughter, "no." Little Katarina would find a way. 

              Katarina was out the door before her mother could finish. The door slammed shut behind her. Consequently, a warbling cry started in the back room. The mother sighed. She walked back to the room, now serving as a nursery, and saw her two-year-old crying in her bed. 

               The mother leaned down and cradled her baby in her arms, rocking Enid back and forth to soothe her shrill cries. "Shh, shh," she whispered. "It's okay, don't be scared."

                 This lasted about an hour, after which the mother cleaned the house. It was all she could do to convince herself today was going to be just like the others. Just clean the house. It's a normal visit. A normal visit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  "How are you feeling?" It was an older woman, about mid-forties, dressed in pure white garments and holding a clipboard. Her other hand was eagerly waiting to write down whatever the girl's response was. Although the woman's words might be comforting, her tone was indifferent like all the others.

                    The girl was only five or six years old at most, an IV stuffed into her arm and her body confined to a bed. She coughed harshly into her elbow. 'Coughing fits increasing.' "I'm okay," the girl managed. "Why am I in the hospital again?" Her brows furrowed. 'Amnesia?' "Why don't you talk? Where is mama?"

                   An undecipherable look passed across the nurse's face. "Your mother is at home," the nurse said. She shone the girl a bright (forced) smile. "Honey, you are a very special girl. You are helping millions of people by being here."

                   The girl shrugged. "You're a doctor?" The nurse nodded. "Can I have a lollipop?" A sigh escaped the woman's mouth as she stood up. Her clipboard was full. It was time for trial seventeen. "Doctor lady? Where are you going?"

                   With a jolt, the girl's bed was rolled away from the main hallway and pushed into a separate room. This was a strange room, made of metal and filled with things the girl didn't understand. Thin wires, bright lights. She saw people standing behind a glass panel, watching her. She didn't like that. 

                       Another doctor, a man this time, came from behind the bed and walked to the girl. "Hello there, Enid," he said, smiling. "Do you think I could have you sit up for me?"

                     Enid frowned, then sat up. The IV hung awkwardly from her arm. "Where am I?" She asked, looking around the room. "Are you a doctor, too?" The man smiled, gently ripping the IV out of her arm and gripping her tightly by the shoulder.

                     "Okay, you're going to sit right here," he said, motioning to a metal chair sitting in the center of the room. The doctor let go of her arm, and Enid slowly did as told. She sat in the chair silently as the doctor placed anodes on her chest, head, and arms. Enid shivered. 

                    After a moment, the doctor stopped and leaned toward the little girl. "Here," he said, handing her a lollipop. Enid took it. "Now, all you're going to do right now is sit here and enjoy your lollipop. I'll be right back." He smiled, walking toward the door. As soon as his back was turned, his smile vanished. "Close the doors," he said, exiting the room.

                      With a solid thud, the metal doors locked into place. "Trial seventeen is a go."