thirty-two

+ sunken +

We had slowly made our way through the jungle once again, stumbling down a steep hill as we walked towards what we assumed to be the beach. I head kept my eyes up, looking up into the trees to see if I could spot anyone who was hiding, which I didn't. There wasn't a single canon or noise all day, the only footsteps I could hear were coming from the pack themselves.

I could basically hear the sound of the waves lapping, the smell of the salt in the air giving me reassurance to what the air back home used to be like. "Where is everyone?" Ashlor said angrily as he swiped at some low hanging vines, leading the group today as he created a path for us to walk through.

"There's six people left" Nolan said, pulling the arrow out of her bow as she slotted it back into her quiver, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "The forest is way too deep" I added, walking behind Velvet, watching her pull out a larger hunting knife as she held it down by her side. "If we had gone the other way instead of walking the same way as yesterday, maybe we would fine some people" Ashlor said, turning around and looking as all of us as he grabbed some vines in his hands, yanking them down harshly.

"There's none of them that could even hurt us anyway" Valour said, staring at Ashlor who sighed, rolling his eyes as he turned back to the front, gripping his spear down by his side as he swung the machete he had with his other hand. Coming to think of it now, Ashlor was probably correct in the fact that we should have gone in the opposite direction, the other tributes probably having the idea to get as far away from the cornucopia as possible.

The sand was slowly started to mingle in with the dirt below our feet, the beach coming into view, the perfect blue waves hitting the even sand as we made our way onto it. We had come straight at the edge of the beach, making us walk all the way along, the sun beaming down on the shiny cornucopia.

"Let's just stay here until sundown, then make our way back into the treeline to get some sleep" Nolan said as she pulled her quiver off, letting it drop to the ground as she sat down, the line of rocks that led to the cornucopia sitting directly in front of us as I stuck my trident blades into the ground. Ashlor let out a breath as he fell onto the floor, picking up some sand in his hand as he let it fall through his fingers.

I turned around, watching the water as the sun danced across the top of the water, the waves crashing into the sand. I looked out to the horizon, the water not stopping for as long as I could see. I had this dying urge to swim out for as far as I could, hoping that I would hit something, maybe a new piece of undiscovered land that was free of any other tributes and weapons.

Knowing the Capitol I would make it past the mines that were in the circle around the horn before they sent a pack of rabid shark muttations after me to finish me off, the game makers not wanting me to reach whatever there was out there. I sighed, everyone sitting down on the sand as I leaned against the end of my trident, resting my elbow on it.

My eyes landed back onto the cornucopia, my eyebrows furrowing as I lifted up my head, looking at it for a moment. There was something off about it, making me think for a moment as I tried to figure out what it was, then it hit me suddenly.

It was empty.

I pulled my trident out of the sand, looking at it as I walked forward a little bit, all of them watching me as I silently hit the water. "Everything is gone" I said turning around to the group as Ashlor had stopped listening, Nolan standing up slowly as she walked over to me. "What?" she asked as I held my trident out, pointing to the horn as Valour and Velvet stood up, Ashlor listening as he stuck his sword into the sand.