Chapter 1

The Jellicle Balls date is looming, as every cat can feel the presence of the Jellicle Moon getting stronger.
All the adults help to set up the ceremony, clearing a general space in the Junkyard. This space will be used for the dances and introductions that most cats do.
Currently, the kittens are gathered around The Rum Tum Tugger, who had volunteered to kitten-sit while everyone else moved junk. The reality was, he did not wish to dirty his mane, which he had been spending the entire day cleaning.
"Now, kittens," He purred, "Which of you are having dances this year?"
When a kitten becomes a young adult, either a young queen or a young tom, then they get a special part in the Jellicle Ball. Generally, they will dance a number, like Victoria was to do this year, or would get a part to sing with the adults.
"I am!" Called the aforementioned Victoria, bouncing up and down.
"Oh, we all know you are, sweetheart!" The Rum Tum Tugger smiled. He jokingly looked around. "Well, Jemima! How old will you be now, my dear young queen?"
Jemima bounced up and down. "Oh, not old enough to be part of a dance!" She cried. The other kittens laughed at her words, everyone knew how much she loved the Jellicle Ball. Last year had been her first time there, and she had loved it!
The tom looked around again. "Hmm, now which of you is old enough this time?" He purred, as the kittens pounced around each other to try and show how old they were.
"I'm in the ball this year!" Exclaimed Tumblebrutus as he jumped on Pouncival.
"I'm not old enough to form my own song, but Jennyanydots says I can help her again!" Offered Pouncival.
"Oh, you're not old enough yet, but you sure have grown!" Laughed Tugger. "I remember when you were this small-" He held his paws very close together, "And could barely even meow."
"I want a part!" Cried Etcetera.
"Well, my darling, we don't want you to pass out when I sing again, we all know how that went." Tugger meowed with a smile.
"Calm down," Murmured Electra.
"Ah, Electra! You have to have a part this time around, correct?"
Electra smiled, proud to have been recognized. She was, in fact, coming of age this year, and would soon become a young queen. She was obviously mature, and was also old enough to be part of the ceremony.
The kittens ran off on their own, distracted by the thought of getting to perform, some for the first time.
"Having fun?"
The Rum Tum Tugger jumped, before looking behind him.
Mr. Mistoffelees sat, looking quite comfortable behind him, a slight smile on his face. His tail curled around his body, back legs tucked under himself.
"Darling!" Exclaimed Tugger, turning the rest of the way around. "Oh my, and how long have you been here?"
"Not long," He replied. "What are you even doing? Shouldn't you be helping out?"
"You're one to talk, Mr. Mistoffelees. Here you are, lounging around, while i'm being a responsible tom and watching the kittens for the lovely queens," He purred.
Mistoffelees leaned in closer. "You see, they want me to use my magic, but I have to save up for that, so I was told to take a short break."
"Is that so?" Replied Tugger. "Would a break include going off with me to where the kits cant find us and, I don't know, having a bit of fun?"
The magician smiled. "Is that really something such a responsible sitter should do? I mean, look at those kittens, they could get in so much trouble without you here to sit around and tell them stories-"
"Boys!"
The toms whipped around to see a few of the junkyard workers looking at them. Bombalurina jumped up next to them.
"Tugger, the kittens will be fine without you for a minute. Mistofelees, stop encouraging him. I am certain that both of you have had just enough time up here to yourselves. Now, come and help us over here."
Grumbling, The Rum Tum Tugger gracefully lept from the perch he had been sitting at to watch the kittens. Majority of the cats gathered around a particularly large piece of junk, ready to help move it away.
"Mistofelees, whenever you're ready!" Called Munkustrap.
The cats got into position, while Mistofelees took a deep breath and held his hands out.
"Presto!" He shouted, and suddenly the piece of junk was much easier to move, and the group began to push and shove it out of the way while the spell was still in place.
"This way! This way!" Called Munkustrap, waving his tail in the direction the piece was to go so that it could be laid down.
Finally, Mistofelees released his spell, and the junk settled down into its place, now with the addition of its weight.
Everyone looked around, proud of their work; the junkyard had a nice clear space so that the cats could compete for their place in the Heaviside Layer, and there was now no more work to do.
"Good job, everyone, excellent work." Called Munkustrap, always the leader. "You are now all welcome to return to your homes or dens, whichever you prefer. But remember, I want you back here tomorrow, around dusk. We will need a bit of sunlight, as the Jellicle Moon is not out yet."
Majority of the cats scattered, either to return to their homes before humans could arise, or to go off and do other tasks. The Rum Tum Tugger, however, migrated closer to Munkustrap, greeting him with a good, hearty slap on the back.
"Ah, my dear brother," Purred Tugger, "Always a leader! Now, what is the plan for this time around?"
The older, more mature cat turned and glared at him. "The plan is for you to not crash in with another one of your ridiculous songs. The same goes for the troubled twins, wherever they are."
Tugger sighed, pulling away from his older brother dramatically.
"This is why we can't have nice things, Tugger!" Called Mistofelees from across the yard. "Now hurry up, if you're going to walk me back, that is."
The larger cat smiled, and with a flick of his tail and a meow back at Munkustrap, went off with the other tom.
"Where are we off to today, my love?" He hummed.
Instead of continuing on, Mr. Mistofelees froze, looking at the sky and sniffing around, his tail lashing back and forth. "Something is not right. Can you not tell?"
The Rum Tum Tugger looked around, trying but failing to find whatever it was that made the smaller cat uncomfortable. "Perhaps there is a storm coming. It must be nothing."
As if on cue, rain poured down from the sky, slapping onto the ground. It completely ruined The Rum Tum Tugger's coat, and all of his hard grooming work, but he was a larger car than Mistofelees, whose short hair was already completely soaked through.
"Darling, let's get to shelter. Hurry!"
But Mr. Mistofelees did not move. In fact, he had almost completely frozen, except for his mouth, which was moving as he repeated the words over and over again, "Somethings not right. Somethings not right. Somethings not right."
Just as he was about to say it again, lightning flashed and thunder roared, launching the street they were on into absolute darkness. Everything was silent, before the lights returned just as they had been, and the rain continued just as it had been, and that distant rumbling of a familiar car engine continued, but that was farther off in the distance, so it didn't matter as much.
So, just as he had been, The Rum Tum Tugger turned on his paws to yell at the tom for not moving fast enough, only, his Mr. Mistofelees had vanished, leaving a tell-tail pile of glitter. The Mistofelees left behind was certainly not his Mistofelees, and that was definitely not good.

The Original Conjuring Catजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें