Chapter 9

"The smell of popcorn, who eats popcorn at a softball tournament?" Wendy asked.

   "Anyone, stupid." Barb said as she smacked Wendy in the back of the head.

   "Ow! Damn, I was just asking." Wendy said.

   "How many games are we watching, exactly?" I asked.

   "Usually there are a few, but today it's just two." Barb said.

   "Alright, where is our team?" I asked.

   "Over here guys!" I heard Linda yell from a field nearby. She was on the outside, probably getting ready to go into the field for warm ups.

   "Hey Linda! Good luck out there." Deb said with a smile.

   "Yeah kid, you can beat them." Barb said, smirking.

   "Yeah, you got it." I said.

   "Thanks guys, see you later!" Linda said as she ran into the dugout to get her stuff.

   "Come on, let's roam around and get some snacks." Barb said.

   Everyone followed Barb except for me and Wendy.

   We went to the other side of the fields together, where we both knew we had to talk.

   "Okay Peggy, you aren't telling us something." Wendy said.

   "What am I not telling you?" I asked.

   "About Anna. What did she do to make you afraid of her?" Wendy asked.

   "I'm not afraid. She did something horrible that could frighten everyone. I'm not putting up with it anymore." I said, pointing my finger at Wendy.

   "What did she do, Peggy? You need to tell us. We don't keep secrets from each other." Wendy said as she grabbed my hand with a tight grip.

   "We do now." I said as I jerked away and walked off, leaving Wendy behind.

   I joined the others by the food court.

   "Want anything Peg? I got some money." Deb said.

   "No Deb, I'm good." I said, shrugging.

   "You sure? These pickles are good." Wanda said.

   "No thanks." I said once again.

   "Where did Wendy go?" Spag asked.

   "She just went on her own for a bit." I said.

   "Okay, well come on. Linda's game is gonna start." Barb said.

   Barb started running off with everyone following behind her.

   I don't know how I can be a greaser like them if I can't even take risks. I never do.

   I started running, faster than I'd usually do, which made me catch up with the rest of the girls.

   We quickly got some seats, where we saw the batter come up to the plate, getting ready to hit or miss it's first swing.

   "I'm not gonna know what's happening, you know." I whispered to Wanda.

   "Me too. Want to go find Wendy? She's awfully taking a while." Wanda asked.

   "Yeah, I'll go." I said.

   We got up with no one questioning us, they were too distracted in a foul ball almost going over the field. They would go through hell to get a foul ball.