Twenty-Seven|| Save Her

Start from the beginning

"Please don't leave me," I cried again, lowering my face to her hand, kissing the top of it.

I ran across the field, boyish laughter and giddiness lifting my heart. "Hurry up Charlie!" I called behind me.

"Wait up Evan! I can't run that fast!" my ten year old brother cried from far behind me.

"Boys! Dinner's ready!" Mom called from the back porch.

"Coming!" we called in unison.

"Race you there!" I challenged my brother. He whined.

"That's not fair, you always win!"

"Because you're slow!" Charlie stuck his tongue out at me.

"You're older, and taller!"

"Exactly," I said, standing tall and proud with a smug grin on my face. "I'm better."

"But Evan-"

"You talk too much, let's go!" I took off, racing across the field, back towards home.

Suddenly I was watching the younger versions of myself and Charlie mess around at the dinner table as our Mother served us dinner. Dad was a no-show, as usual.

"He's not a kid anymore, Evan," I turned to see Taylor standing in the hallway in her wedding dress, watching my brother and I punch each other playfully.

"I don't want to lose him." I said desperately. My mate's somber eyes met mine.

"You already have."

Her words echoed, and everything around me faded away slowly.

I jolted awake, and found myself back in Taylor's hospital room. She was still unconscious on the hospital bed.

You already have.

Taylor's words in my dreams troubled me deeply, and I didn't understand why. Surely my brother could be saved?

No, I realized. Taylor had been right. Charlie wasn't Charlie anymore. He'd given over to darkness, and my brother had died. What was left was a shell.

A shell that had tried to kill my wife. My Luna.

I had to make him pay. I had to make an example out of him. I had to make sure no one ever tried to kill Taylor again.

I left Taylor's side, walking to the waiting room, where I found my Mother, Mila and Orion still there.

They all looked up when they heard me coming, and Orion stopped pacing.

"How is she?" Mila asked.

"She's better, still unconscious," I said.

"What's going to happen to Charlie? Is Kaden-"

"I asked Kaden to wait for me before we interrogated him." I replied. "As for what's going to happen to him, I'm going to have my way with him, and then leave him in a solitary cell to rot in for the rest of his miserable life." I added.

My Mother choked on a sob, and I approached her, placing a hand on her shoulder. Mila rose to her feet and left with Orion, giving us some space. I knelt down, looking my Mother in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I wish it didn't have to come to this. But he's the enemy. He's not your son. Charlie's dead."

Tears streamed down her face and she nodded, trying to swallow down the sobs threatening to escape her mouth. "I know," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I know." she broke down into sobs, and I held onto her, letting her cry.