Four|| The Star Pack

The driver pulled into the gates of the Star Pack, and we drove through houses, duplexes, passed a mall and a few parks, and a couple of community pools.

"This place looks like it's own town," I remarked quietly, and Evan looked at me, surprised I'd spoken.

"It basically is," he told me.

We rolled up to a large mansion that I knew was the pack house. I saw two people waiting at the bottom of the front steps.

One was a Hispanic girl about my age with almond shaped brown eyes and curly black hair. The other was a tall, white man with brown hair, scruff like Evan's, and light brown eyes.

The girl was smiling warmly, but the man looked serious. We got out of the car and approached the two while the driver got out Sarah's and my very small amount of personal effects.

"I'm Mila, this is Orion, the Beta." the girl said, shaking my hand kindly. Orion shook my hand too with a short smile before turning to Evan. He nodded away from us and Evan nodded. They walked a short ways away and began talking quietly, the topic very serious.

I wasn't curious enough to eavesdrop- I just didn't have it in me.

"I'm Taylor, this is Sarah." I said. Mila surprised me by wrapping her arms around me.

"I'm only gonna say this once because I know how much it annoys people; but I am sorry for your loss." she said, and I nodded.

"Thank you."

Evan walked up to me and looked me in the eyes. "I have to deal with something, but I'll be back shortly. Mila will show you to your rooms." He searched my eyes for any sort of unhappiness, but I wouldn't show it. I nodded and he walked away, speaking with Orion again.

"I know he said rooms, but I think we should hit the kitchen and get some drinks and food in you, yeah?" Mila said, and I smiled. I had a feeling that once I was back to myself, we'd get along just fine.

Mila led us inside, past a large staircase and a large dining room. In the very back was a large kitchen that was surprisingly empty.

"Want anything to eat? I don't wanna brag, but I'm an exceptional cook," Mila said with a teasing smile. I shook my head and declined politely.

"Some tea, if you have any?" Sarah asked, and Mila nodded.

"Yes, of course." she said, and she disappeared into the walk-in pantry.

"So Evan caught us up on the situation. Are there any accommodations you need, you know, for your superpowers?" she asked, and Sarah and I giggled. "What?" she asked.

"That's the first time I've heard someone refer to them as 'superpowers'," Sarah said with a laugh, and I laughed too.

"Well then what do you call them?" Mila asked. Sarah and I looked at each other and just shrugged.

"No clue." I said.

"I have no idea." Sarah said at the same time. Mila stared at us with a smile.

"I like you." she said, pointing at us both. "I like you both a lot. I'd give you the tour, but I think Evan will want to do that, at least for you," she gestured to me. "And I'm sure you're both tired and need your rest."

I nodded. I was exhausted. I couldn't think anymore about how much pain I was in.

We talked for a little bit more, and I tried to be polite and engaged, but I really just wanted to curl up in a ball and die right there. I wanted to be alone so I could cry. 

I wanted my brother back.

Evan entered the room with Orion behind him. He walked up to me and placed his hand on the small of my back, kissing the top of my head.