2

Red afternoon skies were soon replaced by the darkness. As the dark devoured the light, the qualified persons for the spying agenda were called at the training grounds for the military personnel of Gu. Torches burned bright illuminating against the midst of night as Wen Xue and the others were led inside the spy strategist's tent.

As they have arrived, Jiu Rong curtsied and acknowledged the presence of the chief strategist. All of them knelt in front of him except Wen Xue who stood there with head held high.

With furious-looking eyes, Jiu Rong hastily grabbed her arm dragging her on her knees. Wen Xue fell on her knees yet kept her own prideful conduct against the strategist. Jiu Rong then spoke in a loud voice.

"Strategist Song. The spies are already here, shall we begin the procedures for the final test?"

Strategist Song RuLei turned around and faced all of them. He never paid attention to the other four yet as he caught glimpse on Wen Xue's face, he smiled and afterwards laughed like he was being entertained.

Wen Xue could not stand seeing herself fall so low. Yet, she was doing this for the sake of her people, her pride as a princess and a master of Qi has really been affected. Before RuLei could even open his mouth, Wen Xue hastily stood up and spoke.

"Strategist Song, you belittle me so much. Do you hate me? So it's true, you do like bullying girls."

Song RuLei's face turned serious as he heard those words and walked towards Wen Xue. He looked at her face to face. Wen Xue felt like she could just die right there on that very spot after he offended him.

'My pride will get me killed. I should just learn how to let go.' Wen Xue inwardly cursed as she tried to avoid Song RuLei's ominous stare.

"Hmm... You're the second princess but you're banished by your own father. What a shame."
"Song RuLei! Mind your words... I may not be the second princess that this country could be proud of right now, but I am the second princess that is willing to lay her life for the people of this country!"

"Pft. You should've just married a duke or a powerful asset on military power to expand your country's defenses but instead, you chose honorable death than honorable living!"

"How can I live honorably if my people are suffering? What's the difference of dying and living a life where people around you are dying?"

"You chose your own destiny princess. Oh, your father assigned you the task of assassinating prince Hao ChenXi. Are you up for the challenge?"

"I am."

"Yes you are but you don't have what it takes."

"Then train me."

"Train you? You're a lost cause. Go back to your father and tell him to lift your banishment and play Qin instead of doing the dirty work."

"No. Train me."

"Didn't you hear me? I said go back and—"

Song RuLei stopped saying a word as Wen Xue bowed lowly with her head touching the ground. His eyes widened as he saw the princess' determination.

"Tch. It can't be helped. Fine. I will teach you but when you're out there, you are on your own. Am I understood?"

"Y-Yes."

"Now, there are only four contenders that are vying for two positions. Yours was already decided by your father. If you'll excuse me, I must conduct the test for those two positions right now. Take your time visiting your loved ones just for this night and get a good night's rest. Tomorrow, we'll head out on the southern border for you to train."