𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎

Caspian rode alongside Aslan at the front

Caspian rode alongside Aslan at the front. Peter rode alongside Elmer behind them. Susan and Lucy rode beside each other behind them. And at the back, Phillis and Edmund rode alongside each other. They rode on horseback through the packed streets, full of elated Narnians and Telmarine's alike. People cheered around them and applauded the new king, for it was Caspian's coronation.

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," Caspian said the next day to the crowd. "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."
"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a Telmarine spoke up.
"We're not referring to Telmar," Aslan said. "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our Kings and Queens."
Aslan turned to the Opals and the Pevensies, who stood off to the side. Phillis, though she loved Narnia dearly, yearned for England in a way she knew her brother did not. As soon as she'd gotten used to staying in England, she got swept up in Narnian adventures again. But Narnia didn't feel the same without Cobalt or the Beavers or Mr. Tumnus.
"Is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start," Aslan said.
"I will go," a man spoke up. "I will accept the offer."
Phillis saw Glozelle, and in a weird way she was happy he wanted a fresh start.
"So will we," Prunaprismia said, holding her baby.
"Because you have spoken first your future in that world will be good," Aslan smiled.
He blew on the group gently and a tree twisted, revealing an opening. Gasps echoed across the courtyard. Glozelle, Prunaprismia, her baby, and her father walked through the gap and disappeared completely. Some more gasps emitted from those who had not expected such a thing to ever occur before their eyes. "How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" a man called.
Now, that would not be something of Aslan's nature. However, it would make for a good plot twist.
"Sire, if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay," Reepicheep spoke up.
"We'll go," Peter said.
"We will?" Edmund asked.
"Come on, our time's up," Peter sighed.
"After all, we're not really needed here anymore," Elmer said, Peter stepped forward and handed his prized sword to King Caspian.
"I will look after it until you return," Caspian bowed his head.
"I'm afraid that's just it. We're not coming back," Susan said.
"We're not?" Lucy whispered, leaning into Phillis' side.
"You three are," Peter said, glancing between Phillis and his youngest siblings. "At least, I think he means you three."
"But why? Did they do something wrong?" Lucy asked Aslan.
"Quite the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time. Your brothers and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own." he said.
"It's all right, Lu," Elmer whispered, "it's not how I thought it would be, but it's all right."
Phillis looked up at Edmund, noticing a shadow of a tear in his eye. She felt conflicted. She loved Narnia, she really did, but it just wasn't the same. She felt as though Narnia had given her everything it could, yet she was still set to return sometime in the future.
"One day you'll see too, come on," Peter smiled down at Lu.
They made their way towards their newly acquired friends to bid their farewells. Phillis and Edmund smiled down at Reepicheep. "If I may, Your Majesty, I don't believe we ever got a chance to train together, like we agreed," he said up at Phillis.
"Why, you're right. Well, when I return, brave warrior, I shall challenge you to a duel instead," Phillis smiled, kneeling down to scoop the mouse up.
She hugged him close before placing him back down. He squirmed slightly, causing Edmund and Phillis to laugh. She placed him down quickly.
"I would be honoured to duel against the greatest swordsman in all of Narnian history," the mouse bowed.
"I believe it would be my honour, sir," Phillis curtsied.
Edmund laughed at the interaction they shared, which they'd also shared days earlier.
"Till we meet again, brave leader," Phillis grinned.
"Till we meet again, Queen Phillis the Zealous," the mouse bowed one final time.
A tear slipped from her eye. She worried that this might be a repeat of what happened a year ago. She said her goodbyes to the rest of her friends. Trumpkin seemed especially sad to see Lucy go.

They turned to watch Susan hug Caspian ever so tightly. Too close to be more than that of mere friends. Elmer's jaw clenched as they waited on Susan. "I'm sure when I'm older I'll understand," Lucy whispered.
"I'm older and I don't think I want to understand," Edmund replied, despite having his arm wrapped around Phillis.
She elbowed him lightly in the ribs. "Ribs can get broken, remember?" Phillis glared playfully at Edmund as they all laughed.
"Like it's worth hiding anymore, Ed," Peter rolled his eyes jokingly.
Susan returned to their side. They took a moment to drink it all in. Phillis lay her head on Elmer's shoulder - he didn't particularly want to leave Narnia forever, unlike his sister. He wasn't upset though, he was content.
Edmund slid his hand into Phillis' and they turned to the tree. Taking a deep breath, they walked through.
They were back on the station's platform and it was as if they'd never left. They were back in school uniform and Phillis had regained her black eye. The train arrived and the doors slid open. They all stared at it for a moment. "Aren't you coming, Phillis?" the boy from earlier said, staring at Susan.
Susan and Phillis shared a knowing look whilst everyone looked completely confused. They all grabbed their cases and slipped onto the train. Phillis lay her head on Edmund's chest as their hands stayed bound tightly together. "You don't think there's anyway we can get back?" he asked suddenly.
Each of the children sent him peculiar looks. And the next thing he said made them all laugh. For Edmund was particularly fond of his electric torch, which he'd received as a birthday gift. And what he had done was something only Edmund could ever do.

"I've left my new torch in Narnia."