9| "My friend JJ"

The next morning was one of the best mornings I've ever had. I always hated having to wake up in the morning and get ready but now I had JJ to keep me company while I got ready and did my makeup. He was such a hype man and I really loved how sweet he was. Topper and Rafe were so wrong when they said JJ was just trying to get in my pants. He's a great guy.

I wore a short, grey, cami dress with sandals and my hair in a side braid. I had to put it over the small marks that JJ left the night before. We went to Pope's dad's restaurant and just kept him company while he worked and we reassured him that everything was going to work out for us. Kie and I were getting a lot closer and I'm really happy that she's my friend. She's such a good person and her love for the planet is so adorable.

Pope's dad came into the room with officer Shoupe beside him. "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you," he said and he motioned to the officer. The three of us exchanged worried glances as Pope walked over to the officer. We followed him but kept a little distance since Shoupe wasn't there to see us which means we couldn't really intervene. "I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." He said when he got to us. Pope looked back at us and I could see the fear in his eyes. He has so much to lose and this could seriously ruin his future. He's a great guy and insanely smart but growing up as a Pogue made him less important to the stupid schools around here. All they wanted were perfect white kids from the Kook Academy.

"What?" Pope's dad asked in shock but Shoupe ignored him, "keep your hands where I can see them, Pope"

"Shoupe, what'd he do?" Pope's dad asked as he blocked him from leaving the store. "Take a look at the warrant" he replied as he pushed past him and led Pope out in handcuffs. "I'm sorry but you're arresting him?!" Kie asked angrily and we all sent Shoupe confused and mad glares. Shoupe just ignored what we were saying and read Pope his rights. We followed them as they walked to the police truck but he wasn't budging at all. There was nothing we could do.

"It wasn't him! It was me. He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from figure 8 that I lost my shit. I can't let you take the blame for something I did" JJ interrupted and now Shoupe stopped to listen. My heart was racing as he was basically telling the officer to arrest him instead of Pope. JJ knew that he had too much to lose and that just shows how powerful the love in this family is. It really is a family.

"JJ what are you doing?!" Pope asked with wide eyes. "I'm telling the truth. For once in my god damn life, I'm gonna tell the truth." JJ said confidently so it didn't seem like he was lying to help a friend. "Took his old man's boat too," he said which caused me to laugh softly. It was an extra detail that didn't need to be added.

"what the hell?" Pope's dad said to him.
Shoupe was asking Pope if JJ was telling the truth or not but he wasn't really buying their story. So I stepped in and helped because this is my family too and I always protect my own, "I was there officer! It was JJ" I said and he looked at me for a few seconds before nodding and taking off Pope's handcuffs. He put them on JJ and re-read him his rights as he was about to put him in the car.

"Wait!" I said before he could put him all the way in the truck. He stopped and sighed while he looked at me. I took a step forward and kissed JJ softly and he smiled at me reassuringly as he got in the truck and Shoupe drove him away.

"Shit!" Pope yelled as he threw his hat to the ground and was wiping away his tears then ran inside. Kie and his dad yelled for him but he didn't stop. "I'm gonna go to the station. You take care of Pope" I ordered Kie and she nodded as she ran inside. I started running toward the police station in my stupid dress and sandals. Being a Pogue involves a lot more running and physical pain than I thought. Dresses are definitely not the smartest thing to be wearing anymore.