Prologue

It was a cold and breezy night, and the air was calm and collected as the citizens of the quiet town of Aubade prepared to rest for the night and wait to wake up to a new day. It was a fairly small island in the middle of the sea not many would know since its yet to be placed on a map, but there really wasn't any reason for anyone to leave. It was organized and had a fair and interactive community within its population, and they were able to provide their own resources to survive and live comfortably.

As one mother of a family proceeds to put her youngest to bed, she watches out the window in her daughter's bedroom and smiles up at the moon shining so beautifully up in the starry night sky. She tucks her daughter in her bed securely and dims the oil lamp just enough so that it wasn't too dark and her daughter would have enough light to feel secure with. The girl looks up at her mother smiling so sweetly to her as she leans down to kiss her head and say in a soft and soothing voice, "Goodnight, Adeline. May you be blessed with sweet dreams in your slumber."

The girl starts to look up with hope and expectancy as she asks her mother, "Mommy, will you tell me the tale of the mermaid and the pirate?" Her mother looks at her daughter in surprise and laughs politely as she responds with a question, "Again? You've already heard it before. I'm afraid it's a bit late for that" The girl starts to sit up and beg her mother for what she wishes for, "Please? It's my favorite and I can't go to sleep if I don't hear it. I promise I'll go straight to bed after, with all my heart."

As the girl's mother stares down at her imploring daughter, she can't help but grin at her daughter's strong hope that she'll tell the tale once more, but she knew it wouldn't be the last time. Still, she didn't mind and seeing her daughter smile would be worth spending some extra time she'd normally use for sleeping. She gave in, "Oh, alright. But I won't tell you the story if you aren't tucked in properly." Her daughter was quick to lie back again on the bed as she made herself comfortable before preparing herself to pay attention solely to her mother.

"It's the legend of the pirate who risked the lives of those he loved more than his own and the mermaid who showed us that even monsters can possess a heart and soul." As her mother began to unravel the timeless tale she loved hearing so much, the girl could have sworn she heard the sound of soft singing in the wind that blew in waht seemed like a magical night.