thirty nine.

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE,
melancholy

   MEMORIES WERE MORE of a curse than a blessing when there was something inevitably painful

MEMORIES WERE MORE of a curse than a blessing when there was something inevitably painful. They were internal hauntings, becoming real life ghosts that possessed the mind of the twenty year old and she couldn't simply find a solution to this sense of melancholy.

They used to be her sanctuary, but now they brought a heaviness to her heart that she couldn't shake off. Samantha thought of the Grimes family, Glenn, and always her brother Shane.

She thought about Daryl a lot too.

To keep her mind preoccupied she was always helping around the community with the job that was given to her. Elliot had been her only patient once, but as the days went and people heard of her, that list grew.

They needed help, and Samantha was the one that provided it.

It had always been her dream, and the Governor has easily given it to her when she thought that opportunity had been taken away from her.

But as days turned into weeks, Samantha's come to realize that she would selfishly give it all back if that meant to see Shane again.

She could see the nightly torches behind Elliot's eyes, embers and flames flickering in his irises. He hadn't spoken for quite some time now, but she was used to it.

He didn't like speaking much, and Samantha was sure that she was the only person he did speak to.

Elliot was a boy who had already lived for fourteen years, his past still hidden but she could finally make it out through the cracks that he seemed to leave on his hard facade. He definitely missed New Orleans.

But he was also someone of a rough past.

His grandparents had fell ill, and his family took a trip to Georgia to visit them. That was the very thing that got him stuck here.

Whenever she would try to press about his family, Elliot would immediately shut down everything.

Samantha would always watch him and wonder what was going inside, trying to go through the dark mazes that was his head. But every corner was a dead end, and she was pretty sure he did that purposely.

"Do they always watch that wall?" Came his voice, gazing at the men over the wall with his eyes clouded with deep thought.

Samantha brought his eyes to him. She was so tired, and she could feel the patience from within her thinning. "From what I know," Elliot hasn't stopped watching those guards since he came in. "The Governor makes sure to keep this place secured."

"He acts like a king." He mumbled, scoffing at the mention of the leader.

Over the course of the weeks, she noticed the distaste Elliot seemed to seethe for Philip Blake. When she would ask, he would just give her a look that made her feel incredibly stupid.