Lies

"Hey maeve whats up?" Isaac rolled up to the library where maeve texted him telling him to meet her there. He had given maeve time to think about things and hopefully he was getting an answer today.
"Yeah im good" she half smiled. Isaac knew something was up though.
"I can see somethings up maeve" he pushed.
"I saw otis with ruby, they looked like more then friends" she sighed.
"Oh, i thought they were a couple? They were kissing earlier" isaac lied. He blocked out any thought that it was wrong to lie because he needed maeve to get over otis.
"What?" She seemed despondent.
"Im sorry, I thought you knew" he quickly added.
"I didn't" she mumbled. "Well i guess that makes things a lot less complicated" she sighed.
"Does that mean you will go out with me?" He hoped she would say yes.
"I can't isaac. Not yet. You'd just be a rebound and you deserve more then that. Maybe one day" she tried to reassure him.
"I'll wait" he smiled.
—————
Otis was at his locker when he saw maeve walking past. He knew he shouldn't be mad at her for not feeling the same way he did. He was just upset she chose to ignore his declaration of love. He was embarrassed. But he shouldn't have taken it out on her like that.
"Maeve, wait up" he called after her.
"Otis... hey" she turned around smiling at him trying to hide a pain in her eyes which otis knew was there.
"Can we talk after school? I need to say some things" he asked her.
"I've got plans with isaac after school, i could cancel if you like" she suggested. She wanted him to say yes because she would rather spend time with him.
"No it's okay, can we talk tomorrow after school then?" He suggested, he wanted to ask maeve to cancel her plans today but felt bad for asking.
"Of course, have a good day otis" maeve said sincerely. She turned around and walked away to go and meet isaac.
—————