𝐈𝐕. FELIX FELICIS

CHAPTER FOURFELIX FELICIS

CHAPTER FOUR
FELIX FELICIS

§ § §

When the Sorting Ceremony had finished, and everyone was settled into their seats, Dumbledore stood and walked up to the podium. Harry had walked in late with Luna, holding a bloody wrapped ice pack to his nose.

I glanced at Draco, who's chin was resting in his hand, his elbow propped up on the table. He was zoned out, staring straight ahead, deep in thought. I frowned, but didn't want to disturb him, and looked away.

"Very best of evenings to you all," Dumbledore began, and the hushed conversations died down. "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn."

Polite applause sounded out for the Professor, Harry and I clapping the most since we'd actually had the chance to meet him already.

"Professor Slughorn is to resume his old post as potions master," Dumbledore said, and my heart dropped.

No... then that means... I trailed off, looking at Harry.

Snape. He replied, frowning.

"Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape," Dumbledore confirmed. The rest of the Slytherins clapped loudly. I did not.

"Now as you know," Dumbledore continued. "Each and every one of you we searched upon your arrival here tonight, and you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors, stepped under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student, like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

Shivers went down my spine. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, trying to ignore the image of the sixteen year old boy I had met in second year that was floating around my mind.

"Today, of course, he is known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon... is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed, pip pip!" Dumbledore finished.

"Cheerful," I sighed as I stood from my seat. I looked back to see Draco still sitting. "Draco?" I said loudly.

He looked up at me and then looked around, blinking a few times, seeming to have just realized the feast was over. He stood and we made our way to the common room together.

"What had you so deep in thought?" I asked as we walked.

"Nothing." He said quietly.

And with that, we turned in for the night.

As I made my way through the halls with Draco, Blaise, and Pansy, (Crabbe and Goyle were somewhere behind), I thought about how Potions would go. It was our first class, and I have always hated Potions. But that was because of Snape. Maybe it'd be different with Slughorn.