"I believe so," Taehyung says. The news on TV are over and a commercial plays.

"It's already the eighth of the month and I cannot wait for your rent any longer."

Taehyung closes his eyes. He knows what's about to come and in no way is he prepared for it. He never is.

"This is the third time in a row that you're late with your payment. I'm sorry, but if this doesn't get better, I don't think I will be able to let you stay in the apartment any longer."

It goes like this every time. Taehyung doesn't get used to it, though. The shame still burns deep inside his stomach and makes his cheeks flush.

"I'm sorry," he says, "Please, we only need a few more days. Jeongguk is going to get paid tomorrow and—"

"Taehyung-ssi, I've heard this too many times before now. You are unreliable and that is a huge problem. I've tried to look over it but I'm not sure I can in the future."

Taehyung's throat hurts with all the words he'll have to leave unsaid. His eyes stare at the TV. The intro of a mystery show plays.

"I know. I'm sorry about the trouble." Taehyung leans against the wall. "We need three more days—"

"Two," Choi interrupts him, "That's all I can give you."

Taehyung isn't sure if it's enough. Still, he agrees.

The host of the show appears and announces today's topic. A familicide committed by a father in his forties. The victims: his wife and three kids.

"Fine. Two days." Taehyung stares at the TV.

The father's motive, the host says, Was that his family apparently was possessed by demons. So, he had to take matters into his own hands and end their suffering.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience," Choi says and doesn't sound apologetic at all.

"It's fine," Taehyung says, then makes sure to end the call as fast as possible. On TV, they show a picture of the once happy family. The children all can't be older than twelve. Taehyung turns it off and throws the remote in the couch.

He has somewhere to be. So, he quickly checks himself in the mirror, fixes his tousled dark brown hair, puts on shoes and a light coat and then makes his way downstairs and into the city.

Taehyung sees Jeongguk before he has even entered the café. He stands next to a table by the window, ready to write down a costumer's order, wearing his usual work attire: back clothes and an apron around his hip. The bell above the door announces Taehyung's arrival and draws Jeongguk's attention to him. He smiles.

Taehyung picks a table in the middle of the room. The café is not full, not too empty either. A group of students sit in the back, hunched over a phone and giggling. A couple at the table next to them, sharing lovestruck glances. One man sits alone.

Jeongguk passes Taehyung's table after he has settled down.

"Hey, baby," he greets him, a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it lightly, "My break's in a few minutes. Can I get you anything?"

Taehyung looks up at him, leaning into his touch. "A cappuccino, please?"

Jeongguk nods. "Sure thing." Then, he is off to the counter. Taehyung opens his leather bag he brought with him and pulls out his notebook and a pen. Just for safety, should a random lightning of inspiration strike him.

It is a nice spring day, early April. The sky is clear and the sun is shining; it is still a bit cold, but the impending heatwave is noticeable in the air. Taehyung likes this time of the year, enjoys the walks down at the Han river and through downtown, going to the park and enjoying the warmth and watching the world around him turn back to life. Sometimes, he and Jeongguk have a picnic somewhere out, too. It's nice.