Chapter 15: Handkerchief

Start from the beginning

Guinivere joined her brothers at the table, looking ever radiant in the eyes of everyone in the dining hall.

She appeared extra icy this morning, frost chipping from her eyes and seemingly forming on the tips of her white-silver hair as she appeared like a snowstorm.

There was a freezing silence before anyone said anything regarding her mood.

"Good morning," Neo was the brave soul who dared to ask, "... Are you well?"

The warm spring temperature in the room rapidly fell into a cool winter chill.

Aurelion felt the change and raised his head to give his brother a look.

The brief eye contact became a simultaneous glance directed to their younger sister with great concern.

A few seconds passed before Guinivere nodded regally.

Her voice was like ice as she informed them, "It has been adequate so far."

"You don't seem very happy despite the morning's adequacy," Aurelion murmured under his breath.

A look of discontent flared in Guinivere's eyes. "It will be—once I beat Polonius into a pulp during our next spar."

Her lips curled into a wicked smile.

Ah, so it was one of those days.

Neo and Aurelion smartly shut their mouths and went back to eating, making no effort to comment when Guinivere demanded a large breakfast of meats, eggs, and milk—along with a generous side of grains and vegetables.

After the morning meal, the three siblings boarded their carriages.

Aurelion and Neo stayed by the door, allowing Guinivere to leave first with the carriage Neo usually took.

However, before the youngest could depart, she reached out a hand to her brothers and demanded, "I need a tokened favor."

Neo wordlessly brought out one of his handkerchiefs.

Guinivere eyed it before shaking her head. "It has to be embroidered. Your initials."

Again, Neo wordlessly tucked the rejected handkerchief into his pocket and brought out another with his initials on it.

His siblings both looked at him weirdly.

Aurelion frowned. "Why do you have so many?"

Neo shrugged.

Guinivere raised a perfect brow. "You are so high maintenance."

She snatched the handkerchief and jumped onto her carriage. "I will beat all my classmates in your honor, brother. Look forward to that." Her carriage quickly drove out of the gate, no doubt ready to break a dozen traffic laws under the Odum name.

Neo and Aurelion silently prayed for this Polonius fellow—and the rest of their sister's classmates—and mutely boarded the last carriage.

---

Professor Rickman dramatically entered the classroom with a swish of his teaching robes.

"All of you have read the play last week and have gotten the chance to read aloud. This week, we will begin rehearsals."

Everyone in the class looked at each other in confusion.

"For the spring play, you nitwits. It was in your syllabus!"

There were a few "Ohh..."s and "Ahhh..."s and "... Nooo..."s, and even "... Whyyyy..."s in the room.

"Quiet!" Their professor demanded. "For this quarter, your grades will depend on the spring play. As per tradition, the second-year Senior Department is to perform the Tragedy of Ohmlet before the summer holidays. I have modified the scripts with a few creative liberties so to speak, as we are not going to copy Professor Dogstar's version from last year. Odum, Meyers,"