꧁𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙱𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝙼𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜, 𝙸𝚗 𝚊 𝚂𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚎꧂

Word count: 6.2k
Published:
•••

January

The New Year swept in like a rainstorm.

It began softly and quietly, beating on the windows, and the window panes, and the doors, and the sidewalks only just. It was quiet. The countdown with Draco's mother was quiet. The world was quiet.

It was there suddenly, and it covered everything. The rain, that is. The world looked different, and it felt different. Maybe it was the glass of champagne, maybe it was the nostalgia, but Draco felt mystical and light. He loved the New Year.

Once the excitement had started to wear, Draco decided that maybe the world didn't really feel any different. He supposed that was a good thing; familiar was good. He hoped.

He received a letter from Potter about a half hour after the New Year. He had signed off as "Your friend, HP". The note only reaffirmed Draco's understanding of their friendship, that friendship was all they had, and friends was all they were.

He didn't mind, really. He didn't care about his father's stupid ultimatum anymore. Maybe friends was all he and Potter were cut out to be. Sure, it was bittersweet. Draco had been so excited to be able to rub it in the faces of all of those snot-nosed toad bitches at Hogwarts, saying that he was dating Potter, and that Potter wanted nothing to do with the likes of them. He had imagined that Potter would not have been very keen on the idea, and they would have argued for a bit before Draco inevitably won. But even still, he didn't mind.

How could he mind? Potter had practically rejected him. Draco was over it. Completely.

Maybe not.

He wrote Pansy about it, using a pensieve to recall every word that Potter had said. She responded fairly quickly with a note that only contained curse-words. Draco smiled and shook his head when he saw the letter. He showed it to his mother. She laughed too.

After a quick letter to Blaise as well, Draco had made plans to meet with his friends for tea. They decided on a small little tea shoppe that they'd been to once before, one that was decorated darkly. It had a sleek interior that made Draco feel a bit strange. Pansy loved the skull decor. Blaise liked the smell of sex that hung in the air.

•••

Draco pulled out a chair at his empty table. He had a nice dark tea, dyed to be practically Slytherin green. He was waiting for his friends. He assumed that they would be late, so he had left the Manor in no rush. He was right to assume, because they were both late. Twenty minutes late.

Pansy stumbled into the tea shoppe. She tripped over a small step that led into the shoppe, and flipped it off. She strutted over to Draco's table. She dumped her cloak on one of the chairs. "Tell Blaise I got him his tea," she said. She left it at that and went to order tea. Draco knew better than to order for Pansy. She liked to try something new every time she went anywhere, and he didn't know what to get her. Somehow she always knew what Blaise wanted.

Before Pansy had returned, Blaise rolled into the shoppe. Literally.

He rolled in like a tumbleweed, and popped up when he got to Draco's table. "How's that for an entrance?" he asked.

"Pretty fucking weird," Draco said, sipping his tea. "Pansy's getting your tea right now."

"Love that bitch," Blaise said. He sat down in the other chair at the table. "So... have you talked to your boyfriend since we last owled?"