꧁𝙿𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚗 𝙸𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝙰𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 (𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚒𝚝 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚊𝚕𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚍)꧂

Word count: 8k
Date published: May 20th, 2020
•••

October

After a few days of completely ignoring Potter - for reasons unknown by everyone - October rolled around and it was time for Draco to begin his nine/month plan.

He awoke on October first bright, early, and wanting to go back to bed. He met Pansy and Blaise in the Eighth Year Common Room. Though it was early, there were still a few people awake. They looked exhausted, and Draco couldn't tell if they had woken up early, or neglected sleep for the entire night.

"So...?" Blaise began the conversation. "Are you sure you want to go on with it?"

Draco nodded. "I'm sure."

Blaise nodded. "So, the plan for this month is just to be kind. All you have to do is create conversation and refrain from making too many mean comments."

"How many is too many?" Draco asked stiffly, and he wasn't sure if he was was joking or not.

"Make enough so that you aren't changing your personality, but you have to act like you actually think of him as a human being," Blaise chastised light-heartedly.

Draco rolled his eyes in mock annoyance. "Okay. I'll refrain from being a prat."

Pansy spoke up. "Good. And if you need any help, let us know. Believe it or not, we actually care about your weal. And I don't know about Blaise, but I think it's possible that you still have feelings for Potter."

Draco went to retort, but Blaise cut him off. "I think so too. I mean, Draco, he was lying on your bed after he helped you with your books. He lied on your bed, and you didn't stop him."

"He was tired! I made him carry the extra books that I picked up from the library," Draco attempted to defend himself, but it didn't help, and he knew it as soon as he saw the expressions that he got in return.

"And now you care about his wellbeing," Pansy said. "Are you sure you don't feel anything for him?"

Draco thought about it. And then he realized that he'd had to think about it, and he thought about that. Why didn't he automatically know if he liked Potter or not? Shouldn't the answer be no? Why wasn't the answer no? "Uh- I'm sure. It was a stupid Third Year crush. I don't feel anything for him, except hatred and disrespect. He's a dimwit, an idiot, and... his eyes are too green!"

"His eyes are... too green?" Blaise asked. "What does that even mean?"

"It means every time Draco looks into his eyes he falls a bit more in love," Pansy fake-swooned.

"It means that every time I look into his eyes all I see is this horrible green. It's like a swamp, or a field, or emeralds, or our house color.  I don't understand how so much color can be concentrated into such a small space. What color are they? I hate it when we make eye contact, because I feel like I'm under a spotlight. I mean, having his full attention is nice and all, but-"

"And he says he doesn't like him," Pansy sighed. "I'm not sure you understand what it means to not like someone, because it's painfully obvious that you do."

"I do not!" Draco whisper-screamed.

"Okay," Blaise said. "Calm down. What happens if you happen to catch feelings for him? What if you fall back into your Third Year crush?"

"I won't," Draco assured them. Or maybe he was assuring himself. "I will never make the mistake of liking Harry Potter again."

•••