꧁𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚂𝚒𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚊 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚗 (𝚊𝚔𝚊 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚆𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙷𝚘𝚕𝚒𝚍𝚊𝚢𝚜)꧂

Word count: 6.3k
Published: June 3rd, 2020
•••

December

The beginning of the holly-jolly season was nothing short of a miracle. Draco still hadn't cracked under the pressure that was making sure his ass sat nowhere but Potter's lap. The first day of December brought a shit-ton of mistletoe and a whole lot of charms. The green plant was hanging all around the castle. Most of the time, if you walked under one alone, you were fine. But if you walked under one with someone for some godforsaken reason, hold on to your hat. Should this happen, there was a ninety-nine percent chance that you'd have to kiss whoever you got stuck with. The other one percent was that you got away, but not without aggressive itching spells and a few stinging hexes.

Draco managed to avoid getting stuck under the plant, and he did it by avoiding people entirely. He and Potter hadn't spoken about their little kiss, and he didn't expect that it would be a fun conversation to have. That was why Draco avoided it. Potter was too much of a wimp to ask Draco about it.

Draco enjoyed the first two days of December before he remembered that he was supposed to start flirting with Potter now. There was no use in pretending that he hadn't been doing that for the last three months, but now that it was part of that blasted outline it felt a lot more real than it had before. Draco thoroughly enjoyed fucking with Potter's mind. It was nice to know that he was going crazy.

The first hiccup of the month happened when Hermione Granger cornered Draco after Potions on the fourth of December. As soon as the class had been dismissed Draco had leapt up from Potter's lap and bolted out the door. He really didn't want to get caught under mistletoe. But then Hermione bloody Jean Granger had gone and messed it up. She jumped up as well, though she came from an actual chair, and not Potter's lap. She ran right after Draco and trapped him next to a large statue in the corridor.

"Draco!" she spoke in gasping breaths as she caught up to him. "We need to talk!"

"There's nothing to talk about, Granger," Draco spat. "Now let me go before a sprig of mistletoe decides to spontaneously grow out of the ceiling."

"It doesn't do that," she shook her head, though she didn't look too sure. "I just want to know why you're socially-distancing yourself from everyone. I don't want you to get too detached from your friends, especially so close to the holidays."

Of course Granger would bring up the holidays. It had practically vomited all over the castle. But she had brought up the thing that had been troubling Draco for some time. What was he going to do now that his father was in Azkaban? He had to go back to his mother, whether he liked it or not. He needed to visit and make sure everything was okay. He'd been talking to his mother via letter for the past few days, and now that his travel plans were certain, he didn't know what to do. How was he supposed to face the same place he was tortured in? How was he supposed to look down the hallway where the fucking Dark Lord had been sleeping each night? How was he supposed to do all of it for a bloody month?

"What do the pending festivities have to do with me detaching myself from my friends?" he asked, giving Granger an unsure look.

"I just don't want you to stray too far from the group. I know Harry really enjoys spending time with you," she spoke softly, patting Draco's shoulder.

"And you think that Potter's preferences are going to influence my personal choices how?"

"I dunno. Maybe I was just hoping that maybe you liked spending time with him too."She left it at that, hurrying down the corridor so as not to get trapped under the mistletoe-demons. Draco let out a small "hmph" sound and hurried down the corridor a few minutes later. There was no way he was getting stuck kissing someone.