nine ✦ puppy love

requested by LostInYoongi

Y/N's POV
After storming out of my house, I found myself mindlessly wandering around the streets, letting my feet take me to whatever place I end up at.

Lately, I have been burdening myself with the thought of being not enough in terms of academic performance. Even if I go beyond passing marks, I end up being occupied in knowing better than my capabilities. I've been putting up with standards that take a toll on my mental being and went with whatever idea of a person I want myself to become; however, I've reached a point of losing respect for myself.

Is it just me, or have I really put other things first before myself?

While the sun is about to set on the horizon, I reached a park which isn't that far from my house. I sat at one of the benches surrounding the park as silence wrapped the atmosphere. For quite a long time, I sat there alone as I tried clearing away my thoughts, letting the tears stream down my face. The fresh air outside feels inviting as if it's gently embracing me while I console myself from everything I've been through.

This too shall pass.

I felt a little better after a short while, holding back all the remaining tears that were left for me to cry. I wiped off the wet trail that has now dried up on my face, especially on the apples of my cheeks. I didn't know what to do next, neither do I want to leave and return home as if I have already resolved the unsettling feeling within me. I stared up into the skies as if praying to the Gods for everything to fall into their right places.

I remained by myself while still comprehending on how to deal with my prolonged self-loathing habits. As I was about to zone out again, I snapped out of it when I sensed something moving at a fast pace through my peripheral vision. I turned to the direction where the person was running, only to be pounced on by a small and furry creature. I froze on my spot, not knowing how to react with the sudden encounter. I was about to pat its head until a handsome brown-haired boy approached my direction, relentlessly screaming at the top of his lungs.

"Wondoo!" he called out.

Wondoo... I suppose that the dog's name.

He finally reached my bench, proceeding to squat down while sweating and panting heavily. I looked at him with concern as he continued to catch his breath after running around trying to chase the little animal that is still resting on my lap. I turned to the dog and slightly smiled, watching it become comfortable in its current spot. After a few seconds, I turned my attention to the boy who was now standing up and in a better state.

"I'm so sorry, he was being a stubborn pup after we arrived here," he said as he sat beside me on the bench. "No worries. I'm kind of used to it, anyway." I replied to the boy while scratching the back of my head. "Oh? Do you own a pet dog too?" he asks. "Not really, but a lot of my friends do. Whenever I come over at their place, I play around with their dogs to the point that I look like their babysitter," I explain.

He giggles and said, "That's cute! Then judging by what you said, dogs seem to be naturally attracted to you." We both then look at the puppy that is now snugging closely to my stomach. I let out a small laugh while he does as well.

The conversation halted for a while as both of us sat in silence.

"What's your name?" We simultaneously say, causing the latter to smile. "You go first," he affirms. "I'm Y/N. And you?" I say as he replied, "I'm Wookjin. It's nice to meet you, Y/N." He then extends his hand to me as I grab it, only to awkwardly shake it. "No need to be tense. I don't bite nor play around," he assures as he noticed my stiff posture.