01 : 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘖𝘶𝘵𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘞𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥

Start from the beginning

   "Yo—w." Ray's languid voice drawled through the air as he sauntered towards her. He held up a glistening jar of water like a prized trophy, presenting it before her like a magician revealing a grand trick.

   "Aah! What the-yow?" Emma's arms shot up in a startled dance, her brows knitted in confusion at Ray's unexpected display.

Ray's hand lowered the jar, his voice laced with reassurance as he spoke, "Don't worry. It's not like this is the territory of a savage beast. I don't see any footprints, claw marks, or droppings of that sort." He gestured towards the jar, his tone light, "It's just like when we play tag."

Emma's fingers curled around the jar he offered, her grip uncertain yet intrigued.

A faint sigh escaped Ray's lips as he regarded her, his words tinged with concern, "Emma, you're too eager. I'll keep an eye out, so you should go and rest."

Gratitude radiated in Emma's smile, her words carrying a warmth of appreciationy, "Thanks."

A twinge of remorse flickered across Ray's expression, prompting him to lower his head slightly. "Sorry, Emma."

Her eyes widened, surprise etching her features at his sudden and unexpected apology.

   "If I had cooperated from the beginning, maybe you wouldn't have hurt your hand or lost an ear," Ray murmured, a hint of regret lacing his words.

Emma's lips curved upwards, a serene smile playing on them, "Don't worry about it. As long as my family is alive and smiling, that's all I need. Plus, if you had died—Nina wouldn't be happy about it,"

Ray's smile returned, "Thanks."

His eyes shifted upward, toward the spot where their companions were gathered, sharing a meal amidst the sprawling roots of the ancient trees.

"Emma," Ray's voice grew more determined, his hand rising as if taking an oath. "I'll live and protect this family. Everyone in this family, just like you. This time, for sure, I swear. No matter what happens, I'll never abandon them again. I'll believe in all of you, I won't have any more doubts." His words held a renewed sense of conviction, a promise he intended to keep.

   "Ray—"

   "Don't bear this burden alone," Ray said. 

Emma's smile held a touch of resolute agreement, a nod accompanying her words, "Yeah."

❛ ━━・❪ 𝒂𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒏 ❫ ・━━ ❜