Chapter 11: Professor

Start from the beginning

Cutting his hair might not be a big deal in the modern world, or even to the commoners, but for the realm of the aristocracy, everything must be done carefully and with consideration.

The rumors forced the other students to act, to confirm the changes and how they would affect future prospects.

There were courtly dramas where nobles didn't know their place and questioned every action, being bumbling fools for the sake of being bumbling fools.

But reality was not fiction and acting the role of the bumbling fool required both awareness and careful planning.

It was not that nobles were unable to keep themselves in check. Rather, they must continue to toe the lines and move with the tides of change if they ever wish to survive. Neo allowed his classmates to fill the classroom with their voices. They grew bolder, testing his limits. Each of them had his name on their lips.

Would he react, or would he continue to remain ignorant of their words? Where did they stand in terms of the changing hierarchy?

And what were the odds they won't be caught in the crossfire?

The world of the aristocracy was stressful when one had to play a constant game of chicken.

Some thrived in this world, while others could only fall due to their own carelessness.

Neo saw the way Tybalt raised a brow. Perhaps the boy expected him to do something about the whispers. The current situation was quite unprecedented.

"—His hair? He must have gone crazy-"

"—A new appearance won't change anything-"

For Nazareth, who had always worn his hair long, the significance of cutting his hair would have meant something.

He didn't bother reacting to the comments regarding his looks. If he was still Nazareth, perhaps he might have done something to escalate the situation—perhaps threatened a few people and glared them down...

But now? He just wanted to sit down.

Seeing him unresponsive, some of his classmates changed tactics.

"I heard he was the one behind the poisoning incident with the Odum heir last month. Luckily the poison was discovered before anyone got hurt..."

His reaction was immediate. His face froze into a scowl.

The classmate shut his mouth and became mute. The room fell silent.

Neo made no effort to clarify as it would have been useless to even try, and quickly walked past the group.

He was not responsible for the poisoning incident.

As Nazareth, he preferred using other people to hurt his brother, either by ganging up on him or beating up the people he cared about.

Poison? He stopped poisoning Aurelion years ago.

Fists, knives, and anything that could bludgeon the body were the ways to go. He wasn't sure why that was, but it was just the way he did things.

Physical assassination attempts were what he subscribed to, so he was quite loyal to the method. As a poison expert, he would not have wasted his resources and talent for the likes of his younger brother.

Why?

Honestly, Neo had no recollections. Some of his decision-making skills were a bit of a blur once he started his life in the modern world. He likely repressed them into a little box inside his head and shoved them into the darkest depths of his mind, hoping to never see the light of day.