Chapter 13

Mujjok's head spun as he finally regained consciousness. "Mmm..."

"Eh? Eya, Mujjok! Thank Amiera! He's awake. Yuin, Aela! Mujjok's awake."

He cracked one eye open. Mahmi loomed over him, concern clear on her face. She put a hand to his cheek. He opened both of his eyes and she smiled.

"Bahmeo." She sniffled and leaned forward to put her forehead against his. He reached up to touch her head but pain shot through his right arm, stopping him mid reach. She lowered it and raised his left to her head. His ring glinted above her bosom as she sat up. "I'm not dead."

"You could have died," she said, wiping away tears that had yet to fall. "I am glad you didn't. Don't you dare scare me like that again."

He smiled weakly. "I promise I won't. It's not as fun as I thought it would be."

She rolled her eyes. Yuin and Aela came rushing into the room. They knelt beside him with bright smiles. Mujjok returned the gesture.

"How are you, Mujjok-xi?"

"Now that I see you two, I feel better," he replied. "How did everything turn out? Did we win?"

"We got the girl back," Yuin reported. "A bandit had tried to slit her throat but was not successful. We got her out and the Shiera took care of the bandit using essence."

"What about you?"

Yuin looked at his hands. "I was stabbed in my hand and I used my essence again to get the girl out. My hands are even worse off than they were before."

Mujjok tried to sit up but his shoulder and side protested heavily. He grunted with effort but couldn't will himself through it. He sighed heavily. "Kalach."

"It was nothing you did," he replied. "I only care about the girl. She got out safely so there is nothing to apologize for."

Mujjok let his eyes wander and he finally took in the room around him. It was decorated in furs and blankets with makeshift cots spread about the room. Mujjok felt underneath himself. He couldn't feel the floor because several layers of fur and blankets were piled under him.

He also noticed he was very warm and lightly dressed in a fur kuip. "Where are we?"

"We are in the sacred village," Mahmi said. "The Shiera brought us inside to take care of you. They have taken very good care of all of us. Even Emtym came to thank us for saving Kujjyl."

"Erol and Kyunho won us favor with Emtym-yau. He is not so scary," Aela said.

Emtym walked into the room and they fell silent. Mujjok's body tensed, causing his injuries to react.

"I am only here to check your condition," he said. "Until you are recovered from your injuries I will allow you to remain here. It is my payment for saving Kujjyl's life."

"My brother would not allow anyone to suffer if he can help them," Aela spoke up.

He looked at her and nodded. "After speaking with those who accompanied you I have a few things to consider. Yam-me tach."

"Yam-me tach," Mahmi and Aela replied.

They looked back to Mujjok who had covered his eyes with his arm. His chest rose and fell slowly.

"There he goes again," Mahmi said. "At least we don't have to sleep out in the cold tonight."

"I want to go check on the girl," Yuin said.

Outside the makeshift room an orifice opened in the earth. Lamps dangled from the stalactite above and gave light to the cave. The Shiera had set up huts and tents from what they could find nearby for shelter inside. Yuin walked about looking high and low for the girl. Some Shiera still watched him with distrusting eyes. They were not received well when they first arrived with the returning group. After centuries of bad blood between them and humans Yuin wasn't expecting much. Emtym was the only reason they weren't attacked as soon as they were seen.