Chapter 2

Yaum did not approve of what she had heard when they sat down for dinner but it had already been done so however she felt about it, she didn't stay on the subject. She did not have the energy to fuss anyhow. The fact that it was the Gunjji did not ease her concern much. The only thing that would make her feel any better was the payment for their service. They were all convinced it was going to be quite a lot considering it was a family heirloom. Despite the way it was obtained, both parents were quite proud that Yuin had taken the opportunity.

For the next two days he worked on smaller projects so that his father could focus on the Gunjji heirloom. He mended small things and made handles for items to sell in the shop. When he wasn't carving handles or sharpening quick requests, he watched Ruek as he mended the ends and made new attachments so that the separate pieces could be put together again. Yuin watched with curiosity shining in his eyes as his father worked with the delicate piece. The work went on for about three days, he took one day off to finish pieces Yuin had mostly started for him.

"I am almost finished now," Ruek said one day as he gathered the completed tools. "Take these to the front of the store so that their owners can pick them up. The staff will be finished today. The quota for accepted orders is full until tomorrow. Please let the customers know that."

"Qiso," Yuin grunted as he lifted everything into his arms and took it to the front. He put them into a rack behind the counter and waited patiently for the customers to come. While he returned their orders he could hear his father working away in the back. It brought a smile to his face and he felt rather proud of his father for being so good at what he did. The Gunjji had sought him out, specifically, to mend their most precious item. They could have gone to any other blacksmith but they came to the Henyl's shop. Because Henyl-dao was the best.

The day dragged on until Ruek stopped for lunch. He went to the house to get lunch for the both of them. "Make sure nothing happens while I am away," he had said before going upstairs. As soon as he heard the door close he slipped into the back to take a peek at the staff so far. One of the halves were sitting out and the other, he assumed, was in the case nearby. Yuin walked up to the table and clasped his hands behind his back.

He had not been alone with the staff since the day he picked it up. It was almost impossible to tell where his father had done his work but Yuin's trained eyes could see it. His gaze traced the intricate pattern along the staff's slender body from end to end. It seemed that it would be cool to the touch, despite what it had endured the past two days. And it was, so cool to the touch.

Pain shot up his arm shocking him from his wandering thoughts. Yuin snatched his hand from the staff and looked it over frantically. There was no bruising or broken skin but the pain resonated in his elbow and shoulder. He heard someone calling from the front of the shop and ran back to the counter. He apologized for his absence and quickly took care of the customer's needs. His father returned after the customer had left.

"Is everything okay?" Ruek asked as he handed him a neatly wrapped box lunch. Yuin nodded quickly and unwrapped his box.

Yuin made sure to always have something in his mouth during their short lunch period which only lasted until another customer came by. Once his father returned to the forge, he let the pain show on his face. His chest was hurting now and he thought back to what Gunjji-phe had said. 

No one but your father must touch this item, do you understand boy? 

Yuin sighed and put his head down on the counter. Was the staff poisoned? Were they trying to kill his father? If that was the case, he would already be dead. He was in contact with the staff far more than Yuin was. That was the first time he had even come in direct contact with it.