one

Teamwork, he deduced. Every time his alter ego went out on patrol, Nikolas made creating stories inside his head a routine. Afterwards, he'd come home and grab his phone as fast as his fingers would go, to try to call Tony and tell him about each one as if it were some new adventure he was excited about. But most of all those attempts, the call was declined.

Most of the time Nikolas lived with intelligent machines. They played, talked, even helped him do his homework. On every occasion that Tony went out on business trips and did it for days, he would take Happy with him so Nikolas had no one to open up to where he felt comfortable. He had met some of the avengers but not all of them stayed permanently or stopped to exchange words with him. Nikolas wondered if they even knew he was the newest addition to the team. 

He didn't see them living together like the families did in each of the movies he projected on the wall of his room. Everything was repetitive in his life since he stopped talking to Peter. It was all about getting out of school, complete his patrol routine, and go back home holding his phone without looking at it, Nikolas already knew the answer, he only heard the echo of a call being taken directly to voicemail.

Nikolas didn't know how to admit how lonely he felt. One day he thought he had it all, and the next it was just him as he used to from the very first day.

That night, after returning and putting a handful of pills in his mouth that helped reduce the pain after each transformation, Nikolas couldn't convince his body to rest. The late-night seemed eternal and agitating. He would curl up in different positions under the blankets and squeeze his eyes shut as if he was internally imploring to sleep. Soon his pajamas began to itch on his skin and at the first sound emitted from the door being carefully opened, Nikolas opened his eyes and sat up abruptly on the bed turning his torso completely at the same time that he moved his hands to turn on the lights without having to touch the switches.

Peter froze as if he'd been caught in the act he didn't plan on. Nikolas lowered his hands along with a sigh full of the words he wanted to say, but only the door being closed was the one that answered. Peter timidly grabbed his uneasily hands, his nerves cutting off the eye contact.

"Frankly, I didn't quite expect you to be here." Nikolas spoke first.

"I didn't think YOU'D be here." Peter  emphasized, also spoke first.

Again they fell into silence.

"You haven't been answering my calls or messages, or looking at me at school, or... THE POINT IS that i thought it would be a good idea to--....uhmm... wait for you to come back."

"In my room?" Nikolas heartbeat quickened, and he didn't know why.

"In your room." Peter didn't realize how weird it sounded until he said it out loud, so he made up an excuse. "OH SORRY! I-IT REALLY SOUNDS WEIRD! IT'S JUST... vision freaks me out a little, ok?"

Nikolas twitched his nose, he could smell faded cologne attached to Peter's skin even though they were only a few steps apart. That smell stirred things inside him. He didn't appreciate how much he needed it until Peter came back wearing it.

"Vision and Wanda left, recently actually. Something called Scotland." Nikolas yawned, running a hand through his hair to at least fix the mess that it was.

"SCOTLAND!? WOW! I LOVE SCOTLAND!! It's not a something, it's a where, it's a very nice place and...."

On Nikolas's face there was a look that Peter could read as if he was talking too fast and Nikolas wasn't keeping the track, like they weren't on the same page. Peter put his enthusiasm aside and cleared his throat to concentrate on the reason for which he really had come to the facility.

"W-What I wanted to say is that these last few weeks I-I ummm, I feel like something is missing when you're not around. Your absence makes me realize that." Peter tensed his cheeks in an attempt to give a weak smile that threatened to break his voice if he kept talking, so he cleared his throat one more time. "I even brought you this chocolate that's all squashed now for sure."

"Is that what 'missing you' means?" Nikolas asked, relishing the words the words that feel the same with the anguish inside his chest everytime he'd cast discreet glances at Peter at school but still not feeling ready to get close. But between pauses he said. "I miss you too."

"Last time we spoke, i said goodbye in the worst possible way and as soon as i got back home i just knew you didn't want to talk to me, that made me feel even worse. I'm truly sorry Nikolas..... if there is anything i can do to fix..." He moved his hands on the space between them. "This."

"Stay."

Peter lowered his hands, studying Nikolas's body language. He had been waiting for their reunion ever since they had gone their separate ways after their argument on what was supposed to be a romantic milkshake date. His eyes were no longer processing, now they were imploring him to stay by his side.

"Stay with me." He repeated when he noticed that Peter was still in the same place where he was standing, undecided whether to move or not. Nikolas tossed back the sheets, opening up more space on his bed. "Please?"

After kicking off his shoes and only wearing socks, he got under the blankets together with Nikolas. Peter was on the side of the wall and Nikolas had turned to face him. One could feel the breath of the other. There were things that Peter wanted to talk about, but he knew it wasn't the time to do so. It was just the two of them. Nikolas moved a finger up to Peter's lips, caressing the fleshy skin that drove him so crazy.

"I like the smell of your scent, it's so exceptional." Nikolas evoked romanticism and intimacy in his warm, soft voice. Barely speaking, almost silent, he returned his eyes to Peter's, with his thumb he kept caressing slowly his bottom lip. Peter had no intention of stopping the touch Nikolas was having on his body.

That night Peter fell asleep in a way he hadn't in days.

Author's Note: I love bringing back my favorite characters. Reminder that I have a tiktok account (xpeterbanana) where I upload edits about the stories! <3 :)