three.

Nikolas stood before the massive crowd, his heart pounding in his chest and his sweaty palms. His mind races with thoughts, the possibility of failure, the potential embarrassment. Socializing was never his best quality, perhaps because his other self took the life of the doctor who was taking care of him at the psychiatric hospital. Or maybe because he'd had his first argument with Peter the night before, the only person he'd ever talked to.

He tried his best to tell Peter the fluttering of his heart, the tingling in his fingertips, and the buzzing in his ears, but his entire repertoire of words consisted of constant pauses, stutters, or just shaking his head. Nikolas hated that.

Nikolas couldn't remember the details after his disagreement with Peter. Not until he stood in front of the empty field facing the training wing of the facility. Alone with his thoughts and his feelings, his body a machine working at its limit. His mind racing with thoughts of him, what Peter means to him, and how he wants to express his love. His muscles burned, and his joints ached, but he ignored the pain and just pushed himself further. He knew he must do better. He trained until his body was sore, until he was breathless, until the pills he usually took didn't help ease his pain, and then he continued.

He couldn't focus on anything and just wanted to go home as soon as the short school trip arrived. But he promised Tony that he would integrate like any normal person his age, the thing was that Nikolas didn't process like the others.

"Sunscreen? The snacks? You have enough to share with your class, right? I made sure you did." Happy looked at him in the rearview mirror.

Nikolas was no longer sure if he was the one who was most uneasy about the trip.

"I've checked my backpack a couple of times before. I think it smells a little like ham but there's enough of it." Nikolas muttered with his head leaning out the window.

Happy left him in the area agreed by the school. Ned saw him first, he was with Peter and MJ. From the reactions on their faces, Nikolas assumed that Peter had told them everything by then. He didn't blame him, the three of them were inseparable. When Peter and Nikolas saw each other in the distance, Nikolas blinked a few times. His cheeks reddened slightly causing him to break eye contact. Both unsure about how to handle the situation. The frustration and awkwardness in the air as they try to decide whether or not approach to the other or just pretend they didn't see each other at all.

The rest of  the class was already lined up and waiting for the bus, Nikolas paid attention to their conversations thanks to his developed auditory sense that allowed pick out even the smallest or faintest sounds. He remained listening to the conversations that he didn't realize the way he was looking at them. Nikolas relaxed his gaze when the same group whispered, though he could hear it, that his behavior was disturbing. He squeezed the sleeves of his backpack thinking that maybe if he offered them a sandwich they would stop thinking that his behavior was out of place. But before he turned his backpack and looked for the zipper, someone called for him as they lightly tapped his shoulder.